Principle of Inclusion?

From: aleph1at_private
Date: Tue Jun 26 2001 - 11:23:02 PDT

      We have all heard the old security principle of not filtering out
    known bad input but filtering in known good input, but I've never heard
    it "named" like we name the "principle of least privilege". Do you know
    of any such name? I am thinking of simply christening the principle of
    inclusion.

      I am defining it as: The principle of inclusion tells us that when
    performing input validation for security purposes we should not
    define what is considered invalid input and refuse any
    input that matches this definition, since our definition of what
    is invalid may not be complete, and that instead we should define what
    is considered valid input and refuse any input that does not match
    this definition.

    --
    Elias Levy
    SecurityFocus.com