Re: Principle of Inclusion?

From: Devdas Bhagat (devdasat_private)
Date: Wed Jun 27 2001 - 00:18:54 PDT

    On Tue, 26 Jun 2001, aleph1at_private spewed into the ether:
    >   I am defining it as: The principle of inclusion tells us that when
    > performing input validation for security purposes we should not
    > define what is considered invalid input and refuse any
    > input that matches this definition, since our definition of what
    > is invalid may not be complete, and that instead we should define what
    > is considered valid input and refuse any input that does not match
    > this definition.
    How about:
    [Principle]
    The principle of inclusion tells us that when performing input
    valiadation for security purposes, we should first define valid input
    and refuse any input that does not match this definition.
    [Reason]
    This is because the valid input set is smaller and finitely bounded,
    while that of invalid input is unbounded, and therefore more difficult
    to filter out.
    This principle is derived from the KISS principle (Keep It simple,
    Stupid)

    [Yes, same thing, stated slightly differently, and the words in [] are
    comments, and not part of the statement]

    Devdas Bhagat
    --
    Only two of my personalities are schizophrenic, but one of them is
    paranoid and the other one is out to get him.