RE: "Cyclone" blows computer bugs out of code

From: Gregory Morrisett (jgmat_private)
Date: Mon Nov 19 2001 - 05:50:46 PST

    Hi Hoshi,

    Yes, thanks.  We're very plugged in to Vault -- their type system
    is based on some of our previous work (Alias Types) which we developed
    in the context of the Typed Assembly Language (TAL) project.  In
    addition, one of the Cyclone developers, Dan Grossman, spent last
    summer working with Manuel and Rob working on the Vault implementation.

    (Oh yes, and Rob and I were in grad school together.  Manuel was
    an undergrad there too :-)).

    Vault is a very, very cool project.  But it's aimed at a slightly
    different goal.  In particular, they don't mind changing the language
    (a lot) whereas the goal in Cyclone is to keep the syntax and
    dynamic semantics as close to C as possible.  The primary reason
    for this is that, when working on our previous safe-C project
    (Popcorn), we found that this simplifies both porting and interfacing
    to legacy code.  As an example, the floppy device driver that was
    written using Vault required a lot of wrapper/interface code to
    talk to the kernel.  When Dan did this in Cyclone, the
    wrappers/interfaces
    were minimized.

    On the other hand, Vault's notions of keys (based on linear types)
    provides some static power that Cyclone does not currently have.
    We've been talking with Manuel and Rob a lot, and I expect that
    in the long term, both projects will grow to incorporate the
    advantages of the other.

    Thanks again for your interest.

    -Greg Morrisett