Re: "Cyclone" blows computer bugs out of code

From: Hoshi Sepai (h.sepaiat_private)
Date: Mon Nov 19 2001 - 03:39:34 PST

    On 16 Nov 01, at 12:34, aleph1at_private wrote:

    > http://www.newscientist.com/news/news.jsp?id=ns99991578
    >
    > A new computer language designed to avoid unforeseen programming
    > errors could prevent many computer security breaches, according to the
    > US researchers behind the project.
    >
    > The language Cyclone is being created by a team of computer scientists
    > at Cornell University and AT&T Labs in New York. Cyclone is a
    > redesigned version of the programming language C, which is currently
    > used to create many applications for different types of computers.

    > --
    > Elias Levy
    > SecurityFocus
    > http://www.securityfocus.com/
    > Si vis pacem, para bellum

    Hello

    You might want to also check out Microsoft's research in the
    secure C programming area. The Vault project was started a few
    years ago. Since Microsoft are now focusing on C# I don't know
    whether they have any plans on pursuing this research. As far as I
    can tell it is still on-going. Hopefully they will incorporate some the
    ideas from the project into future versions of their compilers.

    http://research.microsoft.com/vault/

    The Software Productivity Group are also working on some other
    interesting projects.

    http://research.microsoft.com/spt/

    Hoshi

    Hoshi Sepai                 e-mail: h.sepaiat_private
    Middlesex University
    London, UK