Re: Security of data in memory

From: Matthew Cline (mattat_private)
Date: Wed Jan 16 2002 - 15:44:34 PST

    > On Tue, 2001-12-25 at 13:31, Nicholas Brawn wrote:
    > > I have a unix program that reads in an encrypted file, decrypts it and
    > > works on it whilst in memory. What security considerations should I be
    > > aware of? I'm thinking of things like clearing the decrypted buffer
    > > prior to exiting, not storing any of the data in a temporary file, etc.

    On UNIX GnuPG (http://www.gnupg.org) can, if installed SUID root, locks
    memory pages to prevent them from being swapped out to disk.

    --
    http://dmoz.org                  | Give a man a match, and he'll be warm for a
                                     | minute, but light him on fire, and he'll be
    The world's largest human edited | warm for the rest of his life.
    edited web directory directory   |