Re: designing a secure mail server?

From: James M Galvin (galvinat_private)
Date: Thu Feb 28 2002 - 12:04:27 PST

    On Thu, 28 Feb 2002, dalek wrote:

        I have been thinking long and hard about the design of a secure MTA,
        preferably one that does SMTP and local (to the spool) as well as
        remote (SMTP) delivery.

    If you really want to understand a secure MTA you need to understand
    MMDF.  It meets all of your requirements, by the way, and always has.

    It was created in 1976.  To my knowledge it has only ever had 1 (let me
    repeat that, exactly *one*) security flaw that was discovered in its
    SMTP daemon in 2000.  25 years is a long time for any software to
    survive on the Internet without a security problem.

    MMDF was later commercialized as PMDF in 1990, which has since been
    bought by Sun for inclusion in iPlanet with PMDF's current installed
    based being passed on to Process Software (www.process.com) so they can
    continue the PMDF product.  SCO also includes MMDF as its baseline MTA
    and has since the late 1980s.

    A search for "mmdf" at Google will get you some 28,000 links, including
    several different FAQs with more information.  The MMDF distribution
    includes a few papers written years ago about it.  There's been nothing
    recent of which I'm aware.

    Although freeware, MMDF was never a popular MTA if the statistic is
    number of installed sites.  It was the MTA of choice in the early
    ARPANet, running at the two relay sites (Rand and UDel), and was the MTA
    for CSNet, for those who remember that.

    In my opinion its popularity suffered because of configuration anarchy.
    It has *THE* architecture of a secure email system but its
    configuration, use, and management is not for the faint of heart.  If
    you ever got good at it though, there was not and has never been any
    substitute for it.

    The architecture of qmail is similar conceptually to MMDF, although Dan
    Bernstein chose a somewhat different implementation path.  To be fair
    though, there is more to a secure MTA than secure software.  Strictly
    speaking, many MTAs could be made to be secure.  It's just that a small
    few are better suited to it than others, e.g., first MMDF, then PMDF,
    and now qmail, postfix, and a few others.

    It is my opinion the real problem is that most sites fail to acquire and
    maintain the expertise necessary to manage a secure email system.  Worse
    is the fact that that is true of most complex software systems.  qmail
    "wins" in this regard because it is pretty straightfoward to setup and
    it was designed with security in mind.  For small to medium sites qmail
    or any of the other suggested email systems would be a good choice.  For
    large sites what you use is important but more importantly you had
    better have the specialized expertise available to manage whatever you
    choose.

    I was first exposed to MMDF back in 1982, as a graduate student.  I've
    never gone back.  Today I use PMDF.  I've been studying, using, and
    managing email systems ever since.  I have no other direct association
    with any MTA.

    Enjoy,

    Jim

    --
    James M. Galvin, Ph.D.                          President and CEO
    eList eXpress LLC                               +1 410.549.4619