MTAs

From: David Wheeler (dwheelerat_private)
Date: Thu Feb 28 2002 - 12:48:34 PST

    Wynand van Dyk -

    It's not quite what you asked for, but in case you aren't
    aware of it, take a look at my more general book on
    how to write secure programs at:
       http://www.dwheeler.com/secure-programs  It's not specific to MTAs,
    but I cover some of the more
    general topics.

    Email parsing is quite painful in its full generality, and
    few people today need UUNET routing and other things.
    I'd start with a limited subset of legal email addresses
    and slowly expand that filter as users demanded it.

    You should look at some of the existing
    open source MTA's, and see how to help them, such as
    Postfix (was VMailer) and Exim.  I'm sure that the authors would be
    very interesting in making their software more secure, and
    they might even be willing to make significant architectural
    changes to do so.  If nothing else, it'll give you good ideas
    and possibly reusable code.  Bernstein holds tight control
    over Qmail (you can't redistribute changed Qmail code - it's not
    open source), so Qmail wouldn't be a useful starting point for
    code reuse, but you might get good ideas from that too.

    --- David A. Wheeler