Re: Security - ciphers - autentification

From: Ted Behling (TBehlingat_private)
Date: Fri Apr 19 2002 - 09:01:21 PDT

    I think you're heading down the wrong path, my friend.  You're doing way
    more work than you need.  Before asking how to implement such a detailed
    process (which seems more like a patchwork of random phrases from Applied
    Cryptography), you need to define exactly what you're trying to protect,
    who you're trying to protect it from, and who your users are.  Furthermore,
    your description sounds like a reinvention of HTTP digest authentication,
    among other things.

    Keep in mind that proprietary security solutions are very rarely found to
    be secure, once tested by experts.  Using "some weird CPU's" is not a valid
    reason for avoiding established algorithms and protocols.  Open,
    established systems for crypto and authentication already exist, and are
    used every day by people with very strong security requirements.  Standards
    like AES have been pounded, beaten, smashed, and run over by the top crypto
    experts in the world.  I think you're misled in thinking you have to start
    from scratch.

    By the way, spell check is your friend.  "Authentication" and
    "cryptography" don't contain F's.

    At 01:57 AM 4/16/2002, Raymond Paskvyl of Unreal wrote:
    >    I have do make 'server autentification' thingy. For several reasons,
    >it
    >have to be made by ourself - _everything_. We can't use any form of any
    >library (because we will run at some wierd CPU's etc.).
    ---snip---

    Ted Behling, Web Application Developer
    Monarch Information Systems, Inc.
    tbehlingat_private