RE: Secure Sofware Key

From: Jef Feltman (feltmanat_private)
Date: Wed Sep 04 2002 - 15:10:47 PDT

    the only way to insure a safe key is to use all the storage space in the
    universe. too big to decrypt.

    my point is there will never be a "safe" key. what I would consider is how
    long does the data need to be protected. if you need to protect the data for
    longer than 6 months, do not release it to the public. if you are trying to
    stop the general public (your customer) from coping the data then use what
    is available on the market. If you want to stop the bootleggers do not
    release the data to the public.

    I have never seen a lock that could not be unlocked. the act of unlocking
    the key gives away it's secret.

    the tougher the lock the more pissed-off your customers will be. take MS-XP
    for example. only the home user is forced to register. think of the
    nightmare if business had to register every copy. how many times have we
    needed to reinstall our laptop OS? notice the amount of Mac's sold after the
    XP release. these where mostly home users that converted to Mac OS.

    the new Audio CD's that have digital copy protection so not play on my
    computer. does this stop me from copying the CD? no. however it does make me
    return them and get my money back.

    the more popular the software the more likely it is to be cracked.

    jef