RE: Secure Sofware Key

From: Michael McKay (mmckayat_private)
Date: Thu Sep 19 2002 - 14:44:22 PDT

    Bryan Feir [mailto:bryanat_private] wrote:

    >Of course, once one player key was broken, dealing with the rest became
    > a known plaintext attack, and the rest of the player keys went down
    like
    > a row of dominos.

    The actual follow-up to the Xing player break was more interesting than
    that.  The mere knowledge of known plaintext (a corresponding input and
    output) does not necessarily make it trivial to break a properly
    designed systems and/or algorithm. The primary reason it was easy for
    CSS is because the CSS key was only 40-bits, and thereby easy to break
    with exhaustive search attacks.  It was only 40-bits (speculated)
    because of a misunderstanding of the government cryptography export
    rules at the time.

    Even more interesting, to me at least, was that soon after the Xing
    player break, people started studying the CSS algorithm itself.  They
    rapidly found serious design flaws which left the 40-bit CSS algorithm
    with an actual strength of around 23-bits (from memory, and new attacks
    might have further reduced the strength).  This is another great example
    showing why proprietary cryptography algorithms should be viewed with
    the greatest of suspicion.

    On Tue, Sep 03, 2002 at 09:03:40PM -0400, Yannick Gingras wrote:
    > This make me wonder about the relative protection of smart cards.
    They have
    > an internal procession unit around 4MHz.  Can we consider them as
    trusted
    > hardware ?

    Yes and no.  You can put a limited amount of trust in a smart card.
    There have been any number of very clever attacks against smartcards
    (Ross Anderson in the UK has documented quite a few of these), and
    smartcard manufactures are usually one step behind these attacks.  A
    well designed system assumes that a system smartcard will be completely
    compromised at some point, giving an adversary all of the secrets
    contained in the smartcard.  The cryptography industry has developed a
    variety of techniques that can reduce the impact of a compromise,
    including unique keys per smartcard and forward security techniques.

    Luciano Rocha [strangeat_private] wrote:

    > The problem is that that piece of hardware is trustworthy, but the
    rest of
    > the PC isn't, so a cracker just needs to simulate the lock/smart card,
    or
    > peek at the executable after the lock has been deactivated.

    Going back to the original question, once the encrypted material goes
    outside the trusted hardware, it is impossible to "unbreakably" protect
    it.  There may be some mitigation steps you can take, such as the SDMI
    watermarking, but most schemes to date have been easily broken.

    Another consideration is the value of what you are trying to protect.
    While there is no such thing as unbreakable, adding more cost (both in
    terms of price and hassle-factor) can greatly improve the protection.
    Since you are talking about the use of standard PC workstations, I
    presume what you are trying to protect is not THAT valuable.  I'm afraid
    most security measures don't come for free.

    Michael McKay
    Director of Software Development
    mmckayat_private

      Information Security Systems & Services Inc.
      19925 Stevens Creek Blvd. Cupertino, CA 95014
      Phone: 408.725.7136  x 4138    Fax: 408.973.7239   www.iscubed.com