Re: use of base image / delta image for automated recovery from attacks

From: Crispin Cowan (crispinat_private)
Date: Wed Sep 04 2002 - 16:30:03 PDT

    Ben Mord wrote:

> [...]

    Ah. In that case, you can use something considerably less powerful than
    VMWare. All you need is a machine configured to boot from CD-ROM and use
    a RAM disk for scratch space. Numerous Linux distros are available that
    let you boot a stateless but functional system from CD-ROM.

    > Obviously, you can't do this with partitions that accrue important
    > state, e.g. a partition that stores database table data.

    ... but if you *do* want some state to persist, then you need a
    mountable writable partition. To protect it, you need some kind of
    access control management to decide who can do what to the writable
    partition, blah blah blah ... and before you know it, the security
    problem starts to look just like it does for conventional servers.

    Simple approxmation to this: make /usr a separate partion, and mount it
    read-only:

        * The good news: attackers that want to trojan your software have to
          reboot, at least.
        * The bad news: administrators that want to update your software
          have to reboot, at least.

    Crispin

    --
    Crispin Cowan, Ph.D.