Re: use of base image / delta image for automated recovery from attacks

From: George Dinwiddie (gdinwiddieat_private)
Date: Thu Sep 05 2002 - 12:08:37 PDT

    > Ben Mord said:
    >
    > >Ah. In that case, you can use something considerably less powerful than
    > >VMWare. All you need is a machine configured to boot from CD-ROM and use
    > >a RAM disk for scratch space. Numerous Linux distros are available that
    > >let you boot a stateless but functional system from CD-ROM.
    >
    > But RAM is expensive, and the directory structures of many systems (e.g.
    > Windows) are not sufficiently organized and standardized to make this
    > combination of bootable CDs and RAM drives practical. Even if you are
    > fortunate enough to be using Linux (or another FHS-compliant *nix), you
    > still can't fit a lot on a CD. Its not unusual today to have gigabytes of
    > static multimedia content on the web server. This particular problem can be
    > alleviated somewhat by using DVDs, but this is a temporary solution at best
    > which will become outdated quickly as our data requirements grow and hard
    > drives become cheaper.

    So, just write-protect the hard disk for partitions that are static.
    I seem to recall an article on this (early 80's, Byte magazine, perhaps?)
    for BBS systems or for testing unknown (perhaps trojan horse) software.

     - George

      George Dinwiddie                             gdinwiddieat_private
      sailing.                                    http://www.Alberg30.org/