Re: Secure Sofware Key

From: Alex Russell (alexat_private)
Date: Thu Sep 19 2002 - 17:56:55 PDT

    On Thursday 19 September 2002 16:44, Michael McKay wrote:
    > On Tue, Sep 03, 2002 at 09:03:40PM -0400, Yannick Gingras wrote:
    > > This make me wonder about the relative protection of smart cards.
    > They have an internal procession unit around 4MHz.  Can we consider them as
    > trusted hardware ?

    SmartCards do not have fixed clock rates (more often than not) as the ISO spec
    dictates that they are externally powered and clocked, but SmartCards used
    for security purposes (usually JavaCards) have built-in crypto co-processors
    that make clock rate irrelevant. 4mhz SmartCards can often preform triple-DES
    faster than general purpose processors clocked at ten times the speed.

    That said, clock rate has nothing with how trustworthy a card is. As Michael
    pointed out, there's something of an arms-race between manufacturers and
    attackers which has nothing to do with clock rate, and time and time again
    what we've seen is that it's not a question of "is it secure", it's a
    question of "who is it secure from and for how long?" Security is rarely a
    question of absolutes (despite the often boolean nature of a break), rather
    it's a question of assessing, quantifying, and managing risk. SmartCards are
    designed to address threats in which the cost of protection cannot exceed the
    $1-20 range (depending on the application).

    As whether or not they are "trusted hardware", the question again revolves
    around attacker and timeframe. One might expect a bored undergrad EE student
    to have more trouble revealing the contents of a pilfered smartcard than,
    say, a governtment intelligence service. If your goal is to keep undergrad
    EEs from perpetrating mass fraud in the caffeteria, then a smartcard is
    likely "trustworthy" enough for your application. If your aim is to protect
    ICBM launch codes, then it's probably the wrong tool. In either application,
    a risk/cost ratio must justify the use of the protection measure in question.

    --
    Alex Russell
    alexat_private