Re: use of base image / delta image for automated recovery from attacks

From: redhat (redhat@xlnt-software.com)
Date: Fri Sep 20 2002 - 16:00:42 PDT

reply to the mail from Ben Mord (bmord@icon-nicholson.com):

> Hi,

Hello,

< ... snipped for brevity ... >

> ... This concept could also be
> applied to the application servers, and even the database server partitions
> (except for those partitions which contain the table data files, of course.)

	Although the data might just be the information that needs protecting.

> Does anyone do this already? Or is this a new concept?

	I've seen this implemented for a shell server, although they chose
to have their root on a CD-WR in a CD-R drive. Which meant that even
when compromised it was only possible to examine other users data.
	AFAIR(emember) they just swapped CD's when a root exploit was found.

> Thanks for any opinions,

NP

blaze your trail
--
redhat

'I am become Shiva, destroyer of worlds'