Re: Security Education in the Workplace

From: George Capehart (gwcat_private)
Date: Sun Dec 01 2002 - 06:07:01 PST

    "K. K. Mookhey" wrote:

    > Youre absolutely right. Educations is always the key.
    >
    > In my opinion, we need to target three segments of people for increasing the security of any organization in general.

    <snip>

    I agree 100% with kkm's list and everything he said.  However, I'd like
    to add a segment to his list:  Boards of Directors, C-level corporate
    officers and corporate risk managers.  It's been my experience that in
    organizations in which this segment knows and cares about security, the
    other segments are much farther along and it's much easier for them to
    get the training and support they need to fill in the gaps.  In
    organizations in which this segment does not know or care about
    security, this is reflected in the other segments.  Even if all of the
    others were well-intentioned and self-educated, it is very hard for them
    to function in a secure manner.  If information security is not part of
    a corporation's IT governance process, support for the other three
    segments will be spotty and limited at best; nonexistent or resisted at
    worst.

    My $0.02.
    --
    George W. Capehart

    Capehart Associates LLC                         Phone:  +1 704.678.1660
    1604 Nottingham Drive				Fax:	+1 704.853.2624
    Gastonia, NC  28054

    "We did a risk management review.  We concluded that there was no risk
     of any management."  -- Dilbert