Security Education - presentation experience

From: David Wheeler (dwheelerat_private)
Date: Thu Dec 12 2002 - 10:10:50 PST

    >> Subject: Re: Security Education in the Workplace
    >> From: "Secterm ." <securityterminalat_private>
    >> Date: Mon, 09 Dec 2002 12:33:58 -0700
    >>

    >> Most certainly agree.  For the past year I've been giving
    >> presentations and talks for both my employer and at my local college
    >> on secure coding (and security in general).  I've been trying to get a
    >> class and/or a section dedicated to security at the college for years
    >> to come now.  With no luck I decided just to start giving my own
    >> talks.  I've found that most students are very interested in the topic
    >> and usually have a turn out of 30 or 40 people.  If nothing else I
    >> find that I learn just as much if not more by preparing and giving the
    >> talks.
    >>
    >> -John.
    >>
    >> <snip>
    >>

    >>> 1. Developers of course. Like you mention the Boot Camp, and someone
    >>> had earlier suggested, maybe secure coding ought to merit a
    >>> chapter in regular programming courses in colleges and universities,
    >>> if not an entire course.

    I've had a somewhat similar experience.  I've given talks on
    how to write secure programs, including at FOSDEM.
    My slides (as well as the book they're based on) are available at
    http://www.dwheeler.com/secure-programs.

    Generally, it's been very well attended and received.
    At FOSDEM, I had 248 attendees, even though I was competing with
    an extremely interesting talk on another track (specifics about
    that talk are at http://www.dwheeler.com/essays/fosdem2002.html).
    Even more interestingly, nearly half (around 150) flooded in
    _specifically_ for my talk on writing secure programs, and a number
    left afterwards.  I've given the talk at other places too
    (such as at the Software Productivity Consortium).

    I definitely agree that info on secure coding ought to be mandatory in
    colleges and universities, at least as a chapter somewhere.

    My presentation only takes one hour (it's a very busy hour!).
    Obviously, a one hour presentation is not going to
    make any developer an expert on writing secure programs.
    On the other hand, after a one hour presentation, that developer
    knows more than 99.99% of all other developers about how to develop
    secure software, including all the major pitfalls that cover over 98%
    of the vulnerabilities being currently found.  If the goal is to
    make things better, that DEFINITELY counts as making things better.

    --- David A. Wheeler
         dwheelerat_private