Re: Writing Secure code

From: Alex Russell (alexat_private)
Date: Fri Dec 27 2002 - 13:54:10 PST

    On Friday 27 December 2002 11:43, John Viega wrote:
    > Of course it's possible to write something that's not exploitable.
    > However, it's tougher than most people think.

    As an unqualified statement, this is patently false. If you had said that
    given a fixed environment, it's possible to develop an application that
    provides protection from circumvention of well defined security
    restrictions against a certain type of attack or attacker, then I might
    take it seriously. Until then, you're just furthering the myth of
    attainable total security (e.g., is survivability in thermonuclear war a
    requirement of your app? is that appropriate? if your app fails in this
    case, has it been "exploited" or DoS'd or is that an accepted failure
    scenario?).

    > For example, I've seen
    > applications that the authors assumed were not networked whatsoever,
    > and had no special local privilege.  However, if the files they read
    > and wrote were stored on a remote file system such as an SMB mount,
    > then their otherwise non-networked program was completely exploitable.

    Secure design can often compartmentalize enough to handle a changing
    environment, but it's something of a desireable side effect of good design,
    not a strong property. Change the environment enough (or change
    abstractions that authors don't question, like the remote filesystem) , and
    anything will break. How it breaks is the important question, and something
    I don't think we spend enough time discussing over the incessant din of
    those looking for a security silver bullet.

    --
    Alex Russell
    alexat_private