RE: Writing Secure code

From: Oliver Friedrichs (oliver_friedrichsat_private)
Date: Fri Dec 27 2002 - 19:32:55 PST

    Jeremy, I wish you were right, but there have been times when even the
    simple sample program you give would have exposed a security hole.  Never
    assume that anything is secure.  A vulnerability discovered in crt0.c by
    Tom Ptacek back in 1997 would have made your program vulnerable if you
    compiled it on a FreeBSD system.

    See:

    199702030554.XAA07517at_private">http://online.securityfocus.com/archive/1/199702030554.XAA07517at_private

    Every program on a system with this problem would have been vulnerable, no
    matter how simple it is.

    Oliver Friedrichs
    Sr. Manager - DeepSight
    Symantec, Inc. - (650) 381-8045

    |         |           "Jeremy Epstein" |
    |         |           <jepstein@webmeth|
    |         |           ods.com>         |
    |         |           12/27/2002 09:46 |
      |                                                                                                                                             |
      |       To:       "Rahul Chander Kashyap" <rahulat_private>, <secprogat_private>                                                    |
      |       cc:                                                                                                                                   |
      |       Subject:  RE: Writing Secure code                                                                                                     |

    > And one more thing...<this one might be interesting ;-)>  Is it possible
    > to write code that is completely secure and not exploitable?

    Yes.

    main() { exit(0); }

    is completely secure and not exploitable.  Beyond that, you're on your own
    :-)

    I think what you really mean is "is it possible to write code THAT DOES
    SOMETHING USEFUL that is completely secure and not exploitable".  In
    general, the answer is "no".  Any program of even moderate complexity, by
    today's standards, includes so much baggage that it's impossible to say
    with
    absolute certainty that it's secure.  Even if there's no vulnerabilities in
    your code, the stuff you drag in (e.g., DLLs) is highly likely to have
    problems.

    --Jeremy