RE: PGP scripting (reprise)

From: lsi (stuartat_private)
Date: Fri Jan 24 2003 - 03:15:35 PST

    Thanks Peter,

    I was actually hoping the msg wasn't posted onto the list, as since I wrote it I successfully implemented
    the system using GPG 1.2.  Which although contains less secure source (PGP 2.x has had longer for
    peer review, GPG has had longer to become infiltrated by spooks, has more places to hide backdoors,
    uses different algorithms, etc) seems to overall be a better solution.

    I thought the topic of the list was "the aspects of programming that involve security" which most definitely
    includes the design of crypto-based solutions.

    I didn't actually notice a Linux debate. :)  However..

    1. In the real world, people still use legacy systems, a fact that linux geeks need to face.  I can talk about
    DOS security if I want!  If a corporate network uses a DOS system, then the security of that system is just
    as important as the rest of the corporate network.  Security is only as strong as its weakest link - if that
    link is DOS-based, so be it.

    2. Linux uses a GNU kernel, R. Stallman says so himself - a fact that GNU/Linux geeks need to face too.

    3. Linux uses BSD components as well.  BSD has a rich legacy others can only try and emulate.  Which
    is why my favoured flavour is FreeBSD. Why play around, when you can get the Real Deal?

    Stuart