RE: PGP scripting (reprise)

From: Peter Gutmann (pgut001at_private)
Date: Wed Jan 22 2003 - 18:43:44 PST

    "Robert B. Morson" <robert.morsonat_private> writes:

    >Windows 95 and 98 use the same type of DOS as you could buy stand-alone many,
    >many years ago (like DOS 6.22).
    >
    >Windows NT 4.0, 2000 and XP all use a DOS emulation, there is no longer a
    >"division" between DOS and the Windows OS, like there was with 95 and 98. It
    >is fairly common for DOS programs that ran under 95 and 98 to have problems
    >with NT 4.0, 2000 and XP.  Has to do with the fact that emulation is not the
    >same thing as the original.

    I've resisted replying so far because I couldn't see that this was relevant
    to a secure-programming list, but in an attempt to kill the thread:

    - I have run PGP for DOS on a variety of NT and Win2K systems without any
      problems.

    - If you really want to run PGP 2.x under NT et al, get one of the Disastry
      versions, which is the 2.x code built as a Win32 binary.

    We now rejoin the debate in progress over Linux vs. Gnu/Linux...

    Peter.