Re: Standards for developing secure software

From: Valdis.Kletnieksat_private
Date: Mon Jan 27 2003 - 12:25:36 PST

    On Mon, 27 Jan 2003 11:17:05 +0100, Pavel Kankovsky said:

    > Of course, when the program does something like "U x = strlen(s)" such
    > that type U (e.g. popular int) cannot represent all possible return values
    > of strlen() then the program using strlen() is buggy because strlen()
    > returns (or is assumed to return) a correct value but the assignment done
    > by the program corrupts it.

    Pavel is close... In fact, it was long ago and far away, and the vendor
    still thought 'int strlen();' was a proper declaration....

    However, my original comment did create the sort of discussion of failure
    modes that is needed for paranoid programming... :)

    For my next trick:  Try running in a UTF-8 locale and see how much stuff
    breaks in strange and mysterious ways.  Or run in an 8859-* locale and feed
    the program UTF-8 data... ;)
    --
    				Valdis Kletnieks
    				Computer Systems Senior Engineer