Re: safe strcpy()?

From: Crispin Cowan (crispinat_private)
Date: Thu Jan 30 2003 - 11:08:58 PST

    Dave Aitel wrote:

    >Does anyone on this list have any connection with the GCC developers?
    >When is StackGuard and -blip going to get integrated into the standard
    >distribution?! What are we waiting on? Mono?

    We are working towards that. Having a feature accepted into GCC requires
    some key things:

        * that the patch is current with GCC, which is a fast-moving target
        * that the patch is portable across architectures

    We are essentially current with GCC, in that we have an in-the-lab
    version of StackGuard/GCC 3.2. We are working on an IA64 port of
    StackGuard, so that we can credibly claim that StackGuard is portable by
    porting it.

    If anyone out there has particular expertise on some other CPU, and
    wants to help, we'll take it.

    When we get all that done, there's the small matter of persuading the
    GCC core maintainers to accept StackGuard, because they don't have to if
    they don't want to.

    Crispin

    --
    Crispin Cowan, Ph.D.