Re: Some questions on DES Encryption...

From: Valdis.Kletnieksat_private
Date: Mon Mar 10 2003 - 10:31:25 PST

    On Mon, 10 Mar 2003 09:24:42 PST, Jeremy Epstein <jeremy.epsteinat_private>  said:
    > Depends on why you're asking.  If you're researching crypto,
    > sci.crypt.research is probably a better place to ask.  If you're worried
    > about someone attacking our crypto, you're worried about the wrong thing.
    > Even 56 bit DES is strong enough that an attacker will almost always attack
    > something else before they attack the crypto.

    Or as Marcus Ranum called it: "Rubber Hose Cryptography" ;)

    Yes, the crypto *system* probably has some other weakness (hint: almost
    nobody does key management correctly - look for post-it notes on monitors).

    On the other hand, 56bit single-DES is sufficiently weak that it's quite
    feasible to build a brute-force cracker.  The EFF did so several years ago.

    New code development should be using 3DES or AES or something of equivalent
    strength.  Then go back and look at your key management again....
    --
    				Valdis Kletnieks
    				Computer Systems Senior Engineer