Re: Insecurities in Non-exclusive Scoket Binding

From: David Wagner (dawat_private)
Date: Mon Mar 10 2003 - 20:49:57 PST

    Firosh Ummer  wrote:
    >Socket hijacking itself is not new - it has been cited in several sources
    >on the net. What I find disturbing is how easy it is for an attacker to
    >hijack a privileged connection and then insert privileged commands,
    >running with very low privileges.

    This is an old, old story.  I remember reading many years ago about this
    kind of attack on NFS.  (NFS runs on port 2049.)  You're right that it's
    an issue, and I don't know of any perfect defense.  But then, most Unices
    are frankly not very secure against local privilege elevation attacks,
    so I wouldn't rely too heavily on standard Unix distributions to prevent
    non-root users from getting root anyway.  (Maybe I'm alone in that last
    sentiment.)