Insecurities in Non-exclusive Scoket Binding

From: Firosh Ummer (firosh.ummerat_private)
Date: Sun Mar 09 2003 - 20:18:51 PST

    All,

    I've written a paper on the risks in non-exclusive socket binding, and how
    developers can mitigate the risks. Using MySQL as an illustration, the
    paper discusses how attackers could potentially hijack  sockets bound by a
    higher privilged process, and inject commands in the stream. This is a
    local privilege escalation attack, and is easier to do than one would
    imagine.

    Link to the paper: http://www.paladion.net/papers/socketbinding.pdf

    Socket hijacking itself is not new - it has been cited in several sources
    on the net. What I find disturbing is how easy it is for an attacker to
    hijack a privileged connection and then insert privileged commands,
    running with very low privileges.

    Would appreciate any feedback/suggestions on improving the paper.

    Thanks & regards,
    Firosh

    Firosh Ummer
    Paladion Networks