Re: PGP scripting...

From: Bear Giles (bgilesat_private)
Date: Wed Mar 26 2003 - 17:00:19 PST

    Kenneth Buchanan wrote:
    > Some time ago I was in fact looking at implementing a system where private
    > keys were distributed as part of some software, but public keys were kept
    > secret (the intention was to encrypt some information into a product license
    > key that could be pulled out later).

    As a general rule, anytime you're thinking about publishing
    "private keys" you need to rethink your problem.  While RSA itself
    is symmetrical, I think all practical implementations store both
    parts of the keypair in the "private" key for some very good reasons.

    In any case, you can encrypt stuff with the private key - look up
    "signing."  Or you could take the next logical step and produce
    license certificates, the information could either be encoded in
    the DN or attached as an attribute.

    Bea