Re: PGP scripting...

From: Pavel Kankovsky (peakat_private)
Date: Thu Mar 27 2003 - 12:27:35 PST

On Wed, 26 Mar 2003, Bear Giles wrote:

> [...] While RSA itself is symmetrical, [...]

In theory, yes. In practice, no: most RSA implementations use a very small
public exponent e (e.g. 2^16 + 1). Let us assume you keep such a small e
as a private exponent, and give me the other exponent, d, as a public
exponent (and the modulus N, of course). What happens? You lose:
everything I have to do is to keep checking small numbers until I find e'
such that x^(e'd) = x (mod N) for an arbitrary x. Then e = e'. I known
both exponents, i.e. I know both the public and the corresponding private
key (and I can compute the factorization of N for extra fun). Game over.

--Pavel Kankovsky aka Peak  [ Boycott Microsoft--http://www.vcnet.com/bms ]
"Resistance is futile. Open your source code and prepare for assimilation."