Re: DES Key Decryption Time

From: Valdis.Kletnieksat_private
Date: Thu Apr 10 2003 - 08:14:26 PDT

    On Thu, 10 Apr 2003 05:06:51 BST, Glynn Clements said:

    > Theoretically you could just expand the operation to minterms
    > (sum-of-products), although it might result in a rather large chip. If
    > you have enough gates, any computation on fixed-sized inputs can be
    > performed solely by combinatorial logic (i.e. "in one cycle").

    "I have come up with a truly elegant design for doing this for the S-boxes,
    however it is too large to fit in the margins of this OC-12" ;)

    Enough already, I think we've made the point that the cycle count is
    indeterminate.  Now for a twist, how about something more useful, like
    how many (K-M)bytes/sec a given real-world implementation is able to
    handle?  For bonus points, discuss key scheduling issues:

    It's well known that many DES implementations have a fairly heavy penalty
    for key setup, with the result that programs like the venerable 'crack'
    are able to test far fewer keys/second than you would expect based on how
    many Mbytes/sec they can crypt in a stream with the same key.  What's
    the currently best known real-world result for optimizing this?