Announcing PromiscDetect

From: Arne Vidstrom (arne.vidstromat_private)
Date: Wed Apr 17 2002 - 01:56:33 PDT

    Hello,

    I've coded a small tool called PromiscDetect for Windows NT 4.0 / 2000 / XP
    that checks if your network adapter(s) is in promiscuous mode or not (that
    is, in most cases, if a sniffer is running on the computer or not). Of
    course the attacker might be intercepting the communication between the tool
    and the adapter, making the result unreliable, but there are probably many
    more cases out there where the tool will really detect a sniffer. But please
    be aware that you can't trust the result to 100% because of this. You can
    find PromiscDetect at:

    http://ntsecurity.nu/toolbox/promiscdetect/

    You can find other freeware security tools and more at our site:

    http://ntsecurity.nu

    Regards /Arne Vidstrom