Nessus 1.2.0 released

From: Renaud Deraison (deraisonat_private)
Date: Thu Apr 18 2002 - 10:03:19 PDT

    The Nessus Team is pleased to announce the availability of Nessus 1.2.0

    Nessus is a remote security scanner which has been developped since 1998.
    It is free, open-sourced (GPLed) and updated very regularly (and currently
    performs over 900 security checks)

    What is new in Nessus 1.2, in comparison of Nessus 1.0 ?

    A lot of changes took place during the two years Nessus 1.2 has been worked
    on. Here's a non-exhaustive list :

    - Security checks are run in parallel ;
    - Full SSL support ;
    - "safe checks" option (makes nessusd rely on a banner rather than take
      the risk to disable the remote service) ;
    - "optimisations" option (make nessusd run "focused" tests (ie: IIS-specific
      tests on IIS, and so on...)
    - Better CGI auditing ;
    - IDS evasion options ;
    - KB saving support (can be used for off-line security audits) ;
    - Session saving support ;
    - Differential scans ;
    - New reports file formats ;
    - Tuned security checks (for better performance) ;
    - More configurable ;
    - Improved SMB support (Nessus can log into a domain, and extracts more
      information from the tested hosts).
    - Scales __much__ better ;
    - Kazillions of bugs fixed ;
    - And more !

    Note that Nessus 1.2.x is the result of two years of work and
    improvements, so not everything can be listed. Have a look at the changelogs
    for full details (in nessus-core/CHANGES)

    Where to get it
    ---------------

    Nessus is available at :

    		http://www.nessus.org/

    and

    		ftp://ftp.nessus.org/pub/nessus/nessus-1.2.0/

    Portability
    -----------

    Nessus 1.2.0 can be compiled on a wide range of Unixes, including :

    	- Solaris
    	- OpenBSD
    	- FreeBSD
    	- NetBSD
    	- Red Hat Linux (and probably other distros)
    	- Darwin / MacOS X
    	- ...

    A Win32 client (NessusWX) is available for the Win32 platform
    (at http://nessuswx.nessus.org)

    More toys soon
    --------------

    A web interface allowing you to mount your own ASP business will be released
    soon - keep an eye on our website for details about this :)

    Bugs ? What bugs ??
    -------------------

    If you find bugs or have enhancement requests, please send them to me
    (deraisonat_private)

    Thanks
    ------

    I'd like to thank everyone who tested and improved Nessus when it was labelled
    as being unstable.

    I would like to thank in particular Michel Arboi (arboiat_private) and
    Michael Scheidell (scheidellat_private) who both did an insanely big
    amount of work for Nessus 1.2

    Thanks,

    				-- Renaud

    --