Re: Jobs thread, et al.

From: Robert G. Ferrell (rootat_private)
Date: Fri Feb 18 2000 - 05:56:32 PST

    >Does anyone here have experiance with large job boards like Kforce.com,
    >Monster.com, Jobsharks.com etc?

    Well, I can attest that I posted my resume on headhunter.net almost two years
    ago and got 22 responses the first week (most, but not all, were headhunters, of
    course), 16 or 17 of which resulted in interviews and at least 10 of which
    generated job offers .  I didn't accept any of them, for one reason or another,
    but it's plain that _someone_ reads those things...

    In a virtually completely unrelated vein, because I'm too lazy and thrifty to
    post twice, I'd like to add one more snippet on an earlier topic.

    I have absolutely no desire to revisit the 'value of certification' debate of a
    few months ago, but I have one quick observation to share concerning the
    certification process.  I took the CISSP exam earlier this month, and the
    several weeks of intensive study in preparation for it were invaluable.  For any
    of you out there who are like me and are simply too busy to read nearly as much
    as you'd like on emerging technologies or advances in extant ones, this enforced
    discipline is priceless.  Simply as a result of the exam preparation process, I
    now understand tedious (to me) things like risk management and elliptic curve
    cryptography a lot more thoroughly than I did before.

    What I'm trying to say here is that, while I will readily concede that
    certification has its good and bad points, the focus it takes to prepare for the
    exam was, at least for me, well worth the money spent on registration.  I doubt
    that I would have ever been able to justify to myself the singleminded
    concentration on truly comprehending some of the more difficult security topics
    that I found necessary to feel reasonably comfortable taking the test.  Despite
    my job title, I spend at least as much time as a WAN engineer, data telecomm
    consultant, programmer, and Unix sysadmin as I do on InfoSec, so absorption of
    new information tends to be gradual and haphazard.

    In summary, while I can't in good conscience recommend that everyone take a cert
    exam, I can heartily recommend that everyone *study* for one.

    Cheers and such,

    RGF

    Robert G. Ferrell
    Information Security Officer
    National Business Center, US DoI
    Robert_G_Ferrellat_private
    Nothing I have ever said should be construed as even vaguely
    representing an official statement by the NBC or DoI.