Re: jobs ANOTHER aspect: titles

From: Ben E (beneat_private)
Date: Fri Feb 18 2000 - 19:41:05 PST

    To me these titles for the most part are of no importance as most people
    hired for these "postitions" move among all 5 you listed.

    > 1. security admin
    One who administers security to a computer system or networked environment,
    usually only technologically.
    > 2. security architect
    One who designs security policies for upper management to approve and force
    all employees to comply.  Sometimes this involves just writing security
    policies for the new employee(s) to read and other times this means writing
    policies for the new network administrator to follow strictly.
    > 3. security analyst
    One who breaches or attempts to breach security for the purpose of showing
    what a bad job the Security Admin is doing, usually him/herself is that
    Security Administrator.  Security analysts must think up new methods of
    possible attack before any actual intruder breaches security.  Sometimes
    these analysts only work technologically, but do not realize that their
    security could easily be breached by booting off a floppy or just social
    engineering.
    > 4. security engineer
    See all of the above.
    > 5. security consultant
    One who is often hired by a client or used within a company to be used as a
    reference to all of the normal system administrators who do not know what
    they are really doing on their systems.  The Security Consultant often
    "dumbs down" the technical details and reveals only the information that is
    important to get his/her point across about an issue.

    I appologize if I may seem a little narrow minded on these titles, I
    personally don't care what I am called or what a business card says.
    Security guys usually don't deal directly with clients and when they do it
    is usually technical talk among other security guys who most likely don't
    care about your title, but instead what you actually know.

    I will leave on the note that I am still looking for _less_ than part time
    employment in the Las Vegas area.  I am still stuck in the public
    educational system, but if any companies are looking to hire, please don't
    forget about me. =)

    Ben Efros
    PHP / SQL / Cold Fusion Developer / part time "hacker"