Re: Network Security

From: Leslie Regener (leslieat_private)
Date: Thu Apr 26 2001 - 10:29:01 PDT

    Charles,

    First, don't be discouraged.  If you really want to make the transition
    persistence and flexibility on your part will pay off.  That being said,
    the best advice I can offer up to you is to get as far away from the "jack
    of all trades" label as you possibly can (especially referring to yourself
    that way).  While that may be important to a smaller reseller, having a
    focus will serve you better as your career evoloves.  Likewise, it will
    give you an edge with product/service specific vendors.  As for a degree
    and certifications, it varies from company to company, but I have never
    seen a qualified and dedicated security professional turned down because
    they had not earned their degree.  If you want to talk off-line I would be
    happy to help you put together a skills inventory and work on how to
    present yourself so that making your transition may be easier.