Re: Network Security

From: Gallicchio, Florindo (2007) (florindo.gallicchioat_private)
Date: Thu Apr 26 2001 - 18:52:27 PDT

    Friends:

    As a consultant I have seen a wide variety of people who consider themselves
    security practitioners, from the firewall installer to the chief security
    officer.  I have observed that there are two categories of security folks:
    technical and governance.

    There are a great many security technicians out there, and on average are
    compensated up to a certain point that becomes a sort of "ceiling," past
    which very few attain.  Then there are those who practice security from a
    business perspective but have a very good understanding of the technology
    issues.  These are the practitioners who usually inhabit the upper
    management or very senior consultant roles.

    Information security is much more than technology - it is the implementation
    of security principles and fundamentals as they pertain to the particular
    circumstance.  IT governance is the key, the practice of which sets the
    security practitioner apart from his or her peers, which many (but not all)
    times equates to greater compensation.

    In almost every circumstance, the economic buyer at a corporation (the
    person who signs the check, or the person who makes the decisions - like the
    CIO/CTO) will better relate to the governance practitioner.  The CIO usually
    could not care less what security product is used or how a Unix server is
    locked down; he or she cares that company assets are well protected through
    the use of sound policies and procedures that encompass the entire business
    without prohibiting productivity.

    First and foremost, you must decide which side you want to be on, and if you
    want both, you need a plan to get there.  If you've had primarily security
    technology experience (e.g., firewalls, IDS, pen testing, etc.) but want to
    branch out into the governance side, begin to understand the company's
    business model and the role that IT governance plays in the enhancement to
    the bottom line and the smooth continuity of business.  Information security
    is a natural part of that process.  Access the right resources to begin your
    study.

    Here are some outstanding non-technical resources I have used and continue
    to use.  Remember, not all resources you use to improve your security
    knowledge are security related.

    - IT Governance Institute (www.itgovernance.org) - especially COBiT

    - Information Systems Audit and Control Association (ISACA) (www.isaca.org)

    - CIO.com (www.cio.com) - a great insight into the business leader's issues

    I also recommend these resources for constant study materials:

    - SecurityFocus (www.securityfocus.com) - naturally ;->

    - @Stake (www.atstake.com) - especially reading the security news every day

    - NIST Computer Security Resource Center (csrc.nist.gov)

    - and too many more to list...

    And one last thing: if it is at all possible, become a consultant.  You
    simply cannot beat the depth and wide range of experience you will gain from
    working in many different environments.  If it is your desire, expand your
    horizons and try to at least experience something new every once in a while.
    Book smarts can never be a substitute for hands-on experience.

    If you'd like to discuss this more, feel free to e-mail me off-list.

    Florindo