Re: Network Security

From: Hedges, Nigel (Nigel.Hedgesat_private)
Date: Thu Apr 26 2001 - 16:17:37 PDT

     Charles & All,

    This is something I can sympathize with. Charles, you have the added bonus
    over me, that you have a CCNP. Man, I would sell my sister to have that (ok
    not my sister, but maybe all of her worldly possessions and mine). You have
    no degree? Well neither do I. Actually, I quit my degree the same day I got
    my first full time job.

    Here's another idea: It is possible to study part time and work full time,
    in which case most employers value someone who is trying to achieve tertiary
    education. It is seen firstly as a good sign of your willingness to be
    educated, but you can also be seen as a long term investment. Ie. If the
    company is willing to place you while you're doing 2-8yrs of Tertiary study,
    then you're not going to run off in a hurry to find another job.

    This year I started part-time study + full-time work, and it's working for
    me. Although it is tough on the whole social life. Technowizards tend to
    forget how important the "unwinding" stage is!

    Back to your question: another thing to remember when approaching clients. I
    have found (in my experience) that broaching the subject of having part-time
    tertiary qualifications go down better if you mention:

    a) I'm studying part time, but it has correspondence aspects - so I don't
    have to sit in formal classes. Most of the work I am more than happy to do
    in my own time.
    b) I have night class, so it wont interfere with the working hours during
    the day.
    c) The degree I am pursuing is directly related to what I will be doing in
    my job and will enhance my analysis, project, management skills in teh
    following areas....

    I would have to agree with some of the words already spoken - It's all about
    attitude and your practical know-how. Employers are so varied that you will
    always get someone who wants you to have an alphabet after your name. Do you
    really want to work for someone who is more interested in your title, rather
    than your potential? Working for a company is supposed to be a mutually
    beneficial experience.

    Always be positive about your skills. In interviews, give examples of how
    the CCNP has helped you in your career. The less you say about the tertiary
    aspect the better, and focus all your energy on all the other services you
    have to offer. You want your employer to go away from the interview thinking
    about the 2-3 things you said about your skills, rather than the 2-3 things
    you said about you not having a degree.

    Best of luck Charles, and "you can do it!"

    Nigel Hedges
    Consultant (Security)
    Computer Associates
    nigel.hedgesat_private