Re: Network Security

From: auto222418at_private
Date: Thu Apr 26 2001 - 22:26:08 PDT

    Replying to no one in specific, but to the list in general.

    As a young InfoSec professional, I have seen many sides of the "degree"
    sports arena.  Through close to eight years of bouncing from consulting
    gig to consulting gig I would say that I have a good feeling for the different
    personalities of professionals, both with a degree and without.

    The difference is simple actually.

    Those without degrees, can get paid just as much as those without - however
    typically there are different fields that one goes into.  For example, I
    know dozens of consultants in the security industry that are making it very
    comfortably without a degree.  They are experienced in systems design, network
    auditing, policy development and design, etc. etc.  In many situations,
    an individual with a CCNA and a CISSP/GIAC with five to ten years of background
    in InfoSec work can very easily get a position in which they will be well
    respected implementing security and doing much of the hands on work.

    However, someone with a degree will most likely reach "higher ranks" in
    the company, not necessarilly paid more, but through out their career will
    be in positions in which they will be developing new technologies or new
    ways of doing things.  In many ways using the scientific method to review
    and develop new proceedures, and/or direct the department/company into new
    directions.  Not -because- of the piece of paper, but -because- of the ingenuity
    that they were exposed to during their formalized education.  In essence,
     taking the "trial/error" that has been learned over time and scrunching
    it down into four or five years and applying it.

    To summarize, individuals with certificates and/or certifications can implement
    technology and come up with new ways of implementing technology.  Those
    with degrees, typically are the ones who are comming up with the new technology/proceedures
    and developing new ways of dealing with current problems.  Why?  Due to
    the environment of the Univerisity/College.

    Many individuals come out of a degree program thinking differently, because
    they have been exposed to new ways of thinking and some would stick - some
    don't.  Just how someone who has never gone to college and is a high school
    drop out can make mint as a consultant, because they had/have ten years
    in the field and the battle scars to prove it.  The company that I recently
    signed onto got me out of the consulting business, and I took a pay cut
    for it, however I will be going to college (on the company) for my forseeable
    future.  To me, education means more than it does to most, and maybe some
    day it will pay off.

    I made mint as a security geek, now I'm taking a stab at being Dr. Security
    Geek.  It just depends on what you want to do and how you want to do it.

    -A
    Free, encrypted, secure Web-based email at www.hushmail.com

    IMPORTANT NOTICE:  If you are not using HushMail, this message could have been read easily by the many people who have access to your open personal email messages.