Re: Network Security, degree or not degree

From: Gabe Kostolny (gabeat_private)
Date: Thu Apr 26 2001 - 22:09:11 PDT

    At my present job, and the one just prior, I had and have the
    interesting distinction of being the only person I am aware of lacking
    a degree. Interestingly (and, I think, fortunately) I report(ed) to
    people with PhDs in both positions.  I also worked  and continue to work
    with a number of other highly educated people.  The main observation I've
    managed to pull out of these experiences is that I'm usually tossed the
    jobs that really *have* to get done.

    I attribute this to my, shall we say, more "practical" approach. Not
    everything has to be an exercise in mathematically-provable elegance for
    me. In this aspect, I consider myself more an engineer in the classical
    sense. One thing that I've observed about people with a lot of higher
    education is that they will rarely settle for the solution that's good
    enough if there's a more elegant solution which requires "just a little
    bit more time". My background is in systems administration (which got me
    interested in security) and programming, originally in perl. This
    doesn't really push one to be inclined toward theory, since one often
    has to deal with things breaking.

    On the other hand, I enjoy the theoretical aspect of things as well. I
    don't just have coding manuals or ORA bind/sendmail books on my bookshelves,
    I have books on the CMM, PSP, algorithms, math, information theory, etc. I
    believe that since I'm curious and don't refuse to learn things which may
    not have immediate practical applications for me I relate a little better
    to my more theoretically-minded colleagues.

    What all this leads into is the fact that I'm simply better suited for
    practical tasks which don't require me to delve deep into theory. Thus
    my current position, in which I review IDS design and implement/test
    signatures. In my previous position I did much the same thing. I had to
    rip apart vendor IDSs to support them, and understand our systems well
    enough to utilize and/or criticize their capabilities - that's the part
    which requires me to understand the theory, even if I can't prove it.

    I hope that in the future my understanding of both theory and
    implementation on a practical level will allow me to move into a less
    hands-on role. To be honest, I can't see myself pushing forward as
    someone doing implementation for many years to come. I'd rather step up
    a level and continue to build my expertise in policy design and
    'governance', as someone termed it in an earlier post.

    To someone trying to get started in the field, and decide whether they
    need a degree, I'd offer this advice:

    If you're willing to push yourself on your own time, as well as in the
    office, and you're willing to dedicate some of that time to theory as
    well as practice, you don't need it. You will have to work harder. You
    will have to prove yourself, and you may not get paid as much, at least
    for a while. But you can be successful.

    On the other hand, if you'd prefer that you can just wave the paper and
    what you learn on the job, go back to school. A degree opens many doors
    that would otherwise require a crowbar (or, for the more experienced,
    lockpicks).

    -gabe

    --
    Gabriel Coelho-Kostolny