managerial positions?

From: b0fh (b0fhat_private)
Date: Wed May 16 2001 - 16:29:28 PDT

    Hi,
    	After following the recent discussion about security jobs, I am
    wondering about managerial positions that deal with security, either
    directly or indirectly.  As I prefer not to travel too much, I would like
    to know what kind of opportunities are out there?

    	Also, I used to be a manager, but decided to take a pay cut and
    became a security analyst to pick up security-related skills.  Now that I
    believe that I am competent in this area (I've always had a strong
    interest in security, and was at sans twice when I was the IT manager),
    and want to move back into a managerial position - how difficult is that?

    	And - how the heck do you find a good recruiter?  The ones I seem
    to run into often turn out to be chums (and I don't mean friendly either).
    And does anyone have any ideas of the salary range of someone with my
    skills and experience (taking into account that my resume is not a list of
    things that I have merely seen, barely touched, or have just seen that
    word)?

    	A copy of my resume is attached below, if you have any comments or
    leads, drop me a line.

    			RESUME
    			======

    (901) 309-3073
    b0fhat_private

    CAREER OBJECTIVE
    ================
    Management position in Information Systems, Strategic Planning, or
    related, with advancement opportunities.

    CAREER SUMMARY
    ==============
    10 years experience in supporting user and organizational needs on the
    Internet and Intranet.  Effective use of leading edge technology and in
    depth knowledge of Internet technology and security.  Strong planning,
    budgeting, technical and management skills.  Hands on technical ability.
    Strong ability to make effective decisions.  Very strong hands on
    technical knowledge.  Good knowledge of Asian market, culture, languages
    and values.

    MANAGERIAL EXPERIENCE
    =====================
    Previous Company.
    ----------------------------------
    IS Operations Manager, August 1997  - December 1999

    Responsible for 24x7 operations, 4 remote sites, 1000 users and 400
    workstations.  Trained and motivated staff of 12.  Improved
    productivity, accuracy and efficiency.  Classification error rate
    dropped from 80% to 7% and allowed employee base to be significantly
    streamlined.  Improved reputation of company by significant reduction in
    Customs disputes.  Helped turn around a station that was losing a
    million dollars a month into the highest revenue generating station.

    Workflow:  Implemented Optika's PowerFlow workflow program using Windows
    NT/MS SQL Server which streamlined the revenue generating process,
    tracked productivity gains as well as error rates.  Designed and deployed
    infrastructure and implemented workflow audit.  This ensured that
    specific regulatory and customer requirements are met, significantly
    reducing the volume and dollar amount of Customs disputes.

    Customer Relationship Management (CRM):  Initiated a custom in-house CRM
    project that managed customer and regulatory requirements for processing
    import shipments.  Phase I was completed, tested and rolled out to
    production in one month with minimal development budget.  Eliminated
    manual and error prone process and inefficient paperwork flow.  Created
    competitive advantage by significantly decreasing error rate.  Improved
    customer service and accuracy of process.  Used Apache Web Server
    running Java servlets interfacing with an Oracle 8i database running on
    Linux.

    Imaging/Paperless Project:  The Paperless project included the Imaging
    Project, which kept a database of all paperwork filed with Customs on
    the behalf of FedEx.  Oversaw the growth of the database from 50
    Gigabytes to 1 Terabyte.  Managed the Optika Imaging suite running on NT
    and NetWare servers as well as the MS/SQL server.  Developed and
    implemented a service that interfaced with FedEx's Extranet that
    improved data availability and reduced turn around time.  Removed the
    need to fax 15,000 to 20,000 pages of Customs forms daily.  Made
    redundant more than 50 fax machines and fax lines, resulting in annual
    cost savings of at least $200,000.  Increased productivity gains and
    reduced error rates.  Used the available Novell NetWare infrastructure
    resulting in ease of integration into the business process.

    Standardized Desktops/Total Cost of Ownership (TCO) Reduction:
    Stabilized servers by migrating mission critical imaging software to a
    suitable environment.  Reduced server crash rate from twice a week to on
    a year.  Excluding revenue losses, costs savings were $400,000.
    Standardized company network by using ZENworks that allowed efficient
    and uniform software rollout and enabled a secure roaming environment.
    Reduced individual PC rebuild time from 4 hours to less than one hour.
    Also allowed for paralleling rebuilds, so a trained technician can
    rebuild up to 10 PCs in 2 hours.  Annual cost savings of $400,000.

    Intranet:  Implemented automatic exchange rate update on a retired
    server.  Freed up 2 employees from the manual process within the first
    week.  This web server was further developed to be the standard
    information distribution channel and the CRM process detailed above.
    The Apache Web Server running on Linux was used.  Excluding other
    savings, the automatic exchange rate process generated annual cost
    savings of $60,000 and  eliminated errors in the exchange rates.

    PROFESSIONAL/TECHNICAL EXPERIENCE
    =================================
    Current Company.
    --------------------------
    Senior Data Protections Analyst, Information Security Engineering,
    December 1999 - current

    Responsible for system integrity and data security.  Worked closely with
    the Firewall/IDS group to ensure end to end coverage.  Created policies
    and procedures.  Application security evaluation.

    Enterprise Account Management:  Analyzed and developed requirements.
    Created specifications and RFP.  Created single sign on interface
    requirements.

    Single Sign On:  Analyzed and developed requirements.  Created
    specifications and RFP.  Created and ran test scenarios.  Designed
    enterprise architecture.  Installed and evaluated Tivoli's Policy
    Director.  Installed, evaluated and running a pilot of Securant's
    ClearTrust.  Integration with internally developed applications.

    Public Key Infrastructure (PKI):  Deployed test infrastructure.
    Supported production system including clustering and backups/disaster
    recovery.  Enterprise secure email.  Planned and developed international
    deployment of PKI.  Analyzed PKI vendors for potential external PKI
    implementation.  Digital Certificates are distributed via roaming
    profiles, final rollout will be to 180,000 employees worldwide.
    Integration with Single Sign On.

    ComputerBiz, Nashville, TN
    --------------------------
    Consultant, September 1996 - July 1997
    Introduced bar-coding technology while consulting with the Document
    Storage Division of First American Banking Corporation.  Analyzed the
    workflow and reduced data entry from 3 to 4 minutes per
    file to about 3 seconds.  Increased accuracy, productivity, revenue
    and reduced temporary-staffing requirements.  Improved accuracy to 100%
    and monthly personnel savings were $30,000.  Developed reporting
    automation and customized billing process into automatic monthly cycles.
    Overall maintenance and administration of LAN connected to interoffice WAN.

    Statistical Services, University of Memphis, Memphis, TN
    Graduate Assistant/LAN Administrator, January 1995 - December 1995
    Responsible for the departmental LAN which consisted of Sparcs,
    PowerPCs/Macs and Intel boxes.  Installed and upgraded the servers from
    Solaris 2.2 to 2.4.  Installed and configured NFS, sendmail, apache and
    ftp for use by clients.  Developed documentation a training guides for
    end users.

    Computer Services, University of Memphis, TN
    Programmer/Consultant I, January 1992 - June 1994
    Managed the University-wide Help Desk.  Supervised student workers.
    Provided second-level end user support to the entire University
    population of 20,000 users.  Assisted users in backup and restoring
    files on the VAX/VMS system as well as accessing BITNET and Internet
    services.  Developed documentation for use by the help desk as well as
    end users.

    TECHNICAL SKILLS/CERTIFICATIONS
    ===============================
    Education/Certification
    -----------------------
    MBA in Management Information Systems, University of Memphis, 1995 - 1996
    BS in Civil Engineering, University of Memphis, 1991 - 1994
    Certified NetWare Engineer, Certified Workflow Engineer, Microsoft
    Certified Professional

    Classes and Courses Taken
    -------------------------
    University of Memphis: Modern Database Management; Systems Analysis and
    	Design Methods
    SANS: Unix Network Security; Writing Secure Programs; UNIX Security:
    	Threats and Solutions; Unix Security Tools and their Use; DNS
    	and Sendmail for the Enterprise; Unix Network Programming;
    	Windows NT Security: Advanced Topics
    NFR: Installation and writing backends
    Oracle: Oracle8 Database Administration
    Optika: PowerFlow

    Hardware and Operating Systems
    ------------------------------
    UltraSparcs; Sun Servers (E250/E450); Compaq Servers; HP Servers; PC
    Workstations, HP Optical Jukeboxes
    SunOS; Solaris; Linux; OpenBSD; NetWare 3, 4, 5; Windows NT, Windows
    2000

    Miscellaneous
    -------------
    Very familiar with Open Source solutions
    Network and security planning and implementation
    High-Availability (HA), backups and disaster recovery
    Integration of Unix, NetWare and NT systems
    Used and deployed various network security infrastructure including
    cops, tripwire, satan, saint, tcpwrappers, snort
    Familiar with Internet standards such as TCP/IP, HTML and RFC's
    Advanced Unix Administration skills

    PROFESSIONAL ASSOCIATIONS AND INTERESTS
    Active participant in UseNIX, Sage, SANS, MENSA

    LANGUAGES
    =========
    Spoken:  Malay, Chinese (Mandarin, Cantonese) and English
    Read:  C, Java, Perl, shell scripts, SQL