Leadership opportunity - Security Related Sales Engineering

From: Brian Contos (brian_contosat_private)
Date: Thu Jun 14 2001 - 07:38:11 PDT

    Brian T. Contos
    brian_contosat_private

    PLEASE E-MAIL ME IF YOU WOULD LIKE A PDF OR MSWORD FORMAT OF MY RESUME.

    OBJECTIVE

    I am interested in a director level opportunity in pre-sales engineering.
    My core competencies are within the computer security industry, specifically
    the MSP/Managed Security space.  I am open to other leadership opportunities
    within the security field and the technology field in general.

    SUMMARY OF EXPERIENCE

    I have over seven years of experience in information systems and network
    security; much of this experience was gained working internationally.   I
    have worked within academic, government and corporate environments as a
    director, manager, pre-sales engineer and security consultant.  During the
    last two years, I have been tightly integrated within pre-sales engineering
    as a director and sales engineer. My current position as Director of
    Engineering encompasses management responsibility for all security field
    consulting and pre-sales services for my company’s Western and Central
    Regions (California through Chicago.) My security expertise includes:
    network and information systems security consulting, performing risk
    assessments, developing security policies, designing security architectures,
    writing white papers and performing penetration studies.

    * Director of Engineering Riptech Real-Time Information Protection, Inc. May
    2001 - Present

    Since joining Riptech I have helped win several critical accounts and
    solidify existing strategic and channel partner relationships including:
    government, academic, transportation, financial, healthcare, ISPs, Fortune
    100s, utilities, dot coms, MSP/ASPs, and numerous others. I was involved in
    penetrating new markets, participating in VC funding activities, acquiring
    new real estate; hiring employees and I helped grow the business from a
    couple dozen to almost 200 employees.  In 2001 I presented the company’s
    value proposition and key differentiators at the RSA Security Conference in
    San Francisco and at the Enterasys Security Conference in San Jose.

    I am currently Riptech’s Director of Engineering responsible for the Western
    and Central Regions. I am focused on two areas, pre-sales engineering and
    professional services consulting. I provide oversight for these
    organizations and I participate in conducing proof-of-concepts, customer
    presentations, partner training, technical writings and business
    development. Prior to Riptech receiving series-A funding I also participated
    as a senior security consultant for technical risk assessments and
    penetration studies.

    * Senior Field Engineer and Lead Sales Engineer Lucent Technologies – Bell
    Labs February 1999 – March 2000

    My primary duties as a field engineer consisted of designing and deploying
    security architectures internationally.  I averaged 95% travel, 100% of
    which was outside the United States.
    I then moved to a Sales Engineering position where I was responsible for
    several accounts in South America and Western Europe.  I worked with
    executives, sales, marketing, business development and engineers alike to
    define business solutions for customers while I helped grow the pre-sales
    consulting practice focusing on international accounts.  I successfully
    worked many global security architecture accounts, some of which were
    several billion dollars.  I helped define solutions for business needs,
    design architectures around the technical portions of the solutions, and
    assist the field engineers with those designs.  I would occasionally be
    called upon to help with the actual deployments when needed.

    * Senior Network & Systems Administrator Compaq Computers January
    1997–February 1999

    While at Compaq, I was a system and network administrator for Compaq’s
    E-Business solutions Group.  I designed, implemented and supported servers
    and network devices (DNS, SMTP, FTP, HTTP, Firewalls, IDS, Routers,
    Switches, Proxies, Solaris, Linux, FreeBSD, OpenBSD, Microsoft operating
    systems, etc).  I conducted security assessments dealing with the mergers of
    Tandem Computers and Digital Equipment Corporation (DEC).  I helped develop
    employee awareness campaigns to include creating an educational video and
    new-hire training workshops for HR personnel and I worked closely with the
    internal legal and audit departments to continually evaluate the current
    state of Compaq’s global networks from a security perspective.

    * Security Assessment Team Member (Tiger Team)Defense Information Systems
    Agency (DISA) - Department of Defense (DoD) 1996

    I worked with a wide array of protocols, security tools, operating systems
    and network technologies to conduct security assessments for the United
    States Government.

    EDUCATIONAL BACKGROUND

    * Formal Education

    B.S., Business Administration, major in Management Information Systems
    (MIS), Computer Science Influence, University of Arizona, Tucson, AZ. 1996

    * Industry Certifications

    Certified E-Forensic Computer Crime Expert 2001
    Cisco Certified Network Administrator (CCNA) 2001
    Check Point Certified Security Engineer (CCSE) 2000
    Microsoft Certified Systems Engineer (MCSE) 1999
    Check Point Certified Security Administrator (CCSA) 1999
    Lucent Managed Firewall (LMF) Certified	1999
    Lucent Stinger ATM & Remote Access Certified 1999
    ISS Certified in UNIX & NT 1999
    University of California Certifications
    	Certified in Network Engineering 1998
    	Certified in UNIX System Administration 1998
    	Certified in TCP/IP Internetwork Engineering 1998
    	Certified in Network Management and Administration 1997

    * Professional Training

    Modern Network Operating Systems 1999
    Bridges, Routers and Gateways 1999
    Routing Algorithms 1999
    Advanced Routing Protocols 1999
    Cisco ICRC 1999
    Network Modeling for Engineers 1998
    Network Management 1998
    Network Architecture 1998
    IPv6 and Multicast 1998
    Probability and Statistics for Network Engineers 1998
    Deploying Cisco Routers 1998
    Switched Networking 1998
    UNIX System Administration I 1997
    UNIX System Administration II 1997
    UNIX Security 1997
    Advanced UNIX utilities and shell programming 1997
    PERL programming with Solaris 1997
    UNIX Troubleshooting 1997
    TCP/IP Architecture 1997

    INDUSTRAY AFFILIATIONS

    Computer Security Institute (CSI)
    The Advanced Computing Systems Association (USENIX)
    The System Administrators Guild (SAGE)

    SECURITY CLEARANCE & INVESTIGATION

    Secret Security Clearance was granted in 1996 through DISA; NACI was
    conducted in 2000.

    References available upon request