Re: Random Thoughts from the "Peanut Gallery"

From: David A. Koran (dakat_private)
Date: Tue Jun 19 2001 - 21:51:00 PDT

    Ken,

    This was an excellent commentary on what, in my own opinion has been
    the state of, just not the INFOSEC jobs, but also for general IT
    staffing. I'm currently at an iffy job right now because I got scared
    with all the nay-saying about the economy, and of course, along with
    everybody else here, needed to pay the bills. In this current "iffy"
    job I've had to "clue" our newly promoted COT (Chief of Technology...
    a vote for CTO would have required board approval.. go figure) on
    things such as SSH and general basic INFOSEC procedures. I had to
    give reasons WHY security was nessesary and the results of what could
    happen if it wasn't taken seriously (I was told stories of a foreign
    hacker owing or development boxes every weekend until I audited the
    boxes... haven't heard anything since.. funny, eh?) Even a simple
    definition of "RTFM" was beyond the grasp of him and everybody else
    (developers) in this company. We were approached by Symantec for a
    possible contract for some business (who also approached my last
    employer for entirely different services) and most of their questions
    I had to answer in the "negative" because I was walking into an
    environment (I was barely there a month) that was designed and
    managed by amateurs. I felt incredibly embarrassed giving these
    answers to Symantec because, if given a chance and the ability to
    have free-reign over the systems, I could, in less than a month,
    bring them up to snuff for them (and they are hard asses on security
    (in a good way)).

    My biggest gruff is with the HR and hiring managers since, other than
    the ones who have found this list, are mainly clueless not just in
    the INFOSEC arena, but altogether when it comes to hiring technical
    people. When I decide to leave this location (which is becoming more
    and more evident as days go by) what tips should I try to give
    companies regarding their attempt to hire useful and talented tech
    staff (yes, the actual IT department has people who do read
    Slashdot.. if that is any measure).

    I know that, as you expressed in your earlier "essay" that is
    impossible to truly boil down a true geek's resume in something
    that's less than ten pages and doesn't read like a buzzword list is
    virtually impossible. I've shrunk mine down to a page and feel that
    most of the time I'm getting overlooked because it's tight (detail to
    a point). However, I've been on the other side of the hiring table,
    and I found that overly verbose resumes for tech positions had me
    questioning every minute detail of their "filler", which in most
    cases, was just that, fluff. I think the big problem is trying to
    find the balance between the necessary verbosity for the detail of
    the talents of tech people, but keeping it concise enough that
    everything somebody needs to look at is on one page. I used to cheat
    by formatting it for legal size paper, but that just gets it printed
    on two pages if the HR person is not careful... go figure.

    Does anybody else have any stories of disappointment and despair...
    Maybe compiling them into a "Hiring Horror Stories" book would be a
    good idea.

    Oh, an in case anybody has a security related job for a
    jack-of-all-trades computer guy that doesn't require a security
    clearance in D.C... drop me a line.

    For those who took the time to read, thanks, and I look forward to
    your opinion.

    --
       David A. Koran
       (dakat_private) - http://www.solo.net/~dak/