RE: Random Thoughts from the "Peanut Gallery"

From: Spencer, Ed M. -ND (Ed.M.Spencer.-NDat_private)
Date: Wed Jun 20 2001 - 07:31:22 PDT

    I agree whole heartedly with the information presented.  I've blacklisted
    agencies before and they have regretted it.  I was looking for work once and
    was told that I was perfect for a position and I would be submitted.  In the
    end I was not submitted and when I talked with the recruiter he said he was
    "too busy filling A+ classes to think about placing me."  I was placed a
    short time later through a competitor in a great position in the financial
    industry.  When the manager for the recruiting company I had blackballed
    asked me why I didn't go through them I told him.  He was noticeably upset
    at the lost revenue.  Especially when I told him that I was pulling 70-80+
    hour work weeks and was being paid time and a half for everything over 40.
    (I still get a warm feeling when I think of this... :-)

    A FAQ for job hunters would be a great thing!  I'm sure many of us have
    experiences that could help others to avoid the pains we've had to endure in
    looking for work.

    On to a couple things I can't stress enough to those working with
    recruiters.

    First, make sure you know who your resume has been submitted to.  If the
    agency won't tell you who you're being submitted to you don't need to work
    with them.  If they want to you sign a contract saying you won't solicit the
    company directly it's not that unusual - but watch the timeframe and the
    wording.  If the agency has submitted you don't submit directly.  This is
    unethical and can lead to your being blackballed with the agency (or
    agencies).

    Second, read your non-compete clause carefully.  I've seen two types of
    non-compete clauses recently.  The first simply says that you are not
    permitted to apply back to the company you are contracted to for a period of
    time. This is typical, and almost expected.  They are just trying to
    guarantee the income for providing a service to their client.

    The other type is far more limiting and I personally refuse to sign.  This
    type states that you won't solicit ANY company the agency has a business
    arrangement with for a period of time.  Think about it.  A company places
    you with Widgets R Us.  After 6 months you find out about a position at
    Sprockets R Better.  You apply and get the position.  When you give notice
    and tell them where you're going they inform you that they have a business
    relationship with that company and that they have to submit you.  They also
    inform you that if you don't you're in violation of contract and are subject
    to damages in the amount of what they would have made by submitting you.
    Sound far fetched?  It happens more often than you would think.

    Lastly, be honest with the recruiters about who your applied with, and what
    positions.  Make sure they know they are NOT to submit you to those
    companies.  In a few larger organizations they may have opening for contract
    and direct hire and you may have to submit directly to the company for the
    direct hire positions.  Talk with over with recruiter.  Do NOT send your
    resume to every recruiting company in town.  Select 1 or 2 that have
    experience placing people with your skill set and work with them.  If they
    don't perform go to another agency.

    I've found posting to most of the job boards to be a waste of time.  I have
    found that searching the boards for information on positions (salary, job
    availability, responsibilities, etc.), and submitting your resume by fax and
    email to the contact listed directly (not through the board's interface) to
    be effective.  Especially if I put the information about the position I saw
    on the board in the email.

    While the information on contracts may not be applicable because you're in a
    'right-to-work' state I recommend that you ask a lawyer to review the
    paperwork before you sign if you have any doubts.

    DISCLAIMER: I am not a lawyer.  This is not meant to be legal advice.  This
    is meant to point out potential shortcoming I've seen.  If you have any
    questions, consult your lawyer, or your friend's lawyer, or hey, your
    enemy's lawyer. But don't take just my word for it.

    Good luck!
    Ed Spencer
    MCSE/MCT/CNA/A+/Network+
    Security Analyst - IS Security
    Renaissance Worldwide, Inc. - Walt Disney World

    This communication is confidential, intended only for the named recipient(s)
    above and may contain trade secrets or other information that is exempt from
    disclosure under applicable law.  Any use, dissemination, distribution or
    copying of this communication by anyone other than the named recipient(s) is
    please immediately notify us by calling (407) 566-5195.  The ideas,
    opinions, and information expressed within the above email are the express
    sole opinion of the author and are not the opinion of the Walt Disney World
    Corporation.  Thank you.