Re: Random Thoughts from the "Peanut Gallery"

From: ron (ronat_private)
Date: Thu Jun 21 2001 - 15:05:54 PDT

    WE've watched the recruiting game change dramatically over the last 10+ years.  There
    was a time whence the recruiters, especially those specializing in contractors and
    outsourcing contract positions to major firms, used to highly prize folks with specific
    skills to meet the demands of the corps they supplied workers too.  It did not mean
    that all those recruiting people to fill positions were highly technical, but, there
    was staff on hand to adequately assess such in potentials.  But, over time as HR folks
    moved into these positions, the technical skills dropped about ten places on the
    meters.  as well, there is less if any allegiance for the agencies to their contractors
    and a total focus upon the corporate clients they supply to.  This is a total
    about-face from times when agencies and recruiters actively searched for prospective
    contractors so as to fillout their ability to fulfill the needs of their corporate
    clients.  that was a time when one could respond to a posting in a usenet job group and
    actually reach a live person at the other end with an e-mail of their resume, a time
    before the web became the main engine for filtering prospective candidates and storing
    vast sums of resumes of 'potentials' for *future* reference.  Text based resumes were
    the norm then.  Now the postings to those same usenet groups and many on the various
    websites tend to be OLD positions, that have long been closed or filled and are posted
    to get more resumes to add to their potential fodder databases of 'potentials'.  The
    balance of seeing import in not only the corporate clients as well as folks that have a
    track record with that agency or contract house, their potential staff for a corp
    client, has diminished, dramatically these past 5 years or so.  The services that these
    place provide has also gone down the proverbial toilet.  Do not be surprised if you are
    the one that has to walk over their website seeking something fresh and 'requesting'
    they submit you for a position that hopefully is not too old on the block, and they do
    little more then pushed a resume to the client to hopefully get you an interview.  do
    not be surprised when filing a contract or even a temp-to-hire spot that you are paying
    the full load for any -=benifits=- they 'provide' in the interim.  All this only get
    worse as the markets slow up and the flood of folks seeking positions increases.  There
    are lulls back to older times when this becomes reversed with a higher swing in
    available positions to recruits, but, it;s not a staying amtter.  We've lerned to
    adapts and to improvise.

    Thanks,

    Ron DuFresne

    --
             admin & senior consultant:  darkstar.sysinfo.com