RE: "Peanut Gallery"

From: Arun S (arunat_private)
Date: Mon Jul 02 2001 - 22:11:23 PDT

    Hi all.

    I have been in IT security for just a couple of years now. But to execute
    projects to the satisfaction of the demanding customer, we as technical
    people
    had to unlearn and learn a lot of new things along with changing technology.
    This involves many sleepless nights of study, lab work, firefighting on live
    networks and handling myriad security incidents. This is not to be estimated
    at
    a cheap value.

    Agreed that the dot com bubble was a fiasco. But to identify the
    info.security
    industry as another dot com bubble shows a less informed decision. We as
    information
    security professionals, strive to protect the millions of dollars worth
    investment
    made (not only by dot commers) but also a multitude of brick and mortar
    companies.

    As Ken rightly said, there is a difference in Quality and Quantity. The
    difference
    will be evident when an employee who is hired for "realistic pay packet" is
    not
    able to protect the corporate IT assets - this not only will result in
    corporate losses
    but also as a loss of confidence for the "head hunting" agencies.

    At last - a request. We are not the heads to be hunted. Why cant we use a
    more
    positive name instead? :)

    Regards
    Arun.