re: A little prospective

From: Mike Smith (msmithat_private)
Date: Mon Jul 02 2001 - 23:33:45 PDT

    > The demand for qualified security professionals
    > is greater today that it has ever been.  A search
    > of Monsterboard will give you more than 2000 jobs
    > in some facet of information security.

    OK, that's so much B.S. that I just have to respond.  Since January, I've been doing periodic searches on Monster.com for jobs with certain keywords, to gauge the relative demand for various skills -- for example, how many job ads mention CISSP vs. CISA, Checkpoint vs. Pix, etc.  (The latest results are published at <http://www.netlocksmith.com>, under "Job Market".)

    One thing I've noticed is that the number of hits for all keywords has dropped steadily during the past 6 months.  They're now down a total of 40-50%.  For example, the number of ads mentioning the word "firewall" was over 1,000 in mid-January; as of today, it's only 572.  "VPN" was mentioned in 851 ads then; as of today, it's 438.  They're all like that.

    Bottom line: The claim that "demand is greater today than it's ever been" is demonstrably false.  Demand is way down from its peak.

    Now, does that mean there are no jobs out there at all?  Of course not.  There are still some.  And will demand increase when the economy improves?  I'd say that's a good bet.  But let's not make up a fantasy that everything is rosy right now.  It's not -- not by a long shot.