Seeking FreeBSD SysAdmin / Security position

From: Avleen Vig (lists-jobs-secfocat_private)
Date: Sun Jul 22 2001 - 18:38:28 PDT

    Hi folks,

    I emailed here about a month ago, and am still looking for work. I thought
    I'd try my luck again, in case any new positions have opened up, or if
    anyone else is interested.
    My resume is included below.

    I am seeking work anywhere in North America - I am flexible to the exact
    location and don't require relocation assitance.
    My work experience is mainly UK based but I do have a US Green Card (no
    visa required for work).

    If anyone is aware of openings they feel I would be appropriate for,
    please let me know.
    I am looking for work immediately and would be happy to provide references
    up front.

    Sincerely,
    Avleen Vig

       Personal Summary:
       An experienced Security officer with 4 years proven Unix support and
       administration including network communications and Windows/Unix
       cross-platform integration.

       Professional skills:
       Well versed in the installation, configuration and administration of:

         * FreeBSD, and OpenBSD flavours of UNIX
         * Redhat, and S.u.S.e, flavours of Linux
         * Microsoft: Windows 9x, Windows NT 4.0 / 2000, Office 95 and 97
         * Knowledgeable in IBM AIX operations
         * SNORT intrusion detection
         * IP communication and network routing
         * Leased line and Dial-up WAN network implementation
         * SMTP, POP and IMAPv4 over Exim and Qmail
         * IPF and IPFW
         * Apache webserver

       Languages:
         * C
         * PHP
         * HTML

       Personal Skills:
         * Proven teamwork skills, through participation in the
           Duke of Edinburgh's Award Scheme at the Gold level.
         * Adjusting quickly to new environments both professional
           and social.

       Employment History
       June 2000 - Present:
                           Internet Vision Ltd
                           60 Albert Court
                           Prince Consort Road
                           London, SW7 2BE

       Information Security Officer, Systems Administrator
       The primary contact for security related, both internal to the company
       and from clients. Developed and maintained security policies &
       procedures for the company. Stayed abreast of developments in
       Information Security to ensure stability of internal servers as well
       as providing consultancy to clients. Acted as the Single Point Of
       Contact for the Systems department, meeting with management daily to
       report on the status of the department and discuss the companys
       requirements upon it. Managed a farm of over 30 Unix based servers as
       a general Systems Administrator for the company and clients. Audited
       all client servers prior to deployment into a live environment.
       Trained with RIPE to act as part of a Local Internet Registrar.

       April 1999 - June 2000:
                              Hitachi Credit Plc
                              3-4 Wallbrook Business Centre
                              Hounslow
                              London, TW4 6NW

       IT Support Technician
       Acted as the first point of contact for all computer-related problems
       both hardware and software related. Maintained a log of all notified
       problems and recorded their resolution, thereby providing management
       statistics as required. Arranged for the delivery of equipment and for
       the despatch of faulty equipment for repair. Liased with warranty
       providers on the current status of equipment being repaired. Assisted
       the Network Support Analyst to configure all new equipment.
       Familiarised with daily housekeeping routines so I could fulfil duties
       in the absence of the Network Support Analyst. Maintained an asset
       register of hardware and software held at the site. Assisted in the
       management of a local Microsoft NT LAN and WAN. Other duties as
       specified from time to time in accordance with the Company's business
       requirements.

       Dec 1996 - Dec 1998:
                           UKChat Ltd
                           2 Bedser Close
                           London, SE11 5BE

       Producer, UK Computing Forum.
       Responsibilities included managing a Microsoft Chat Server on a
       technical level, managing email accounts, writing new articles for
       UKChats Website and generally keeping abridged on Internet
       technologies in order to answer user queries. Also installed and
       configured Windows NT4.0 Server and Workstation versions as well as
       Windows95. Maintained these along with a small LAN running MS Exchange
       5.5. Provided 1st and 2nd line support to all end users including the
       general public on problems with their systems, programs, networks and
       internet connectivity. Finally, part-produced and managed a small
       Website for the company. Dealt with all matters on computer and
       Internet security. Frequently conversed with Demon Internet and UUNet
       regarding this.

       Hobbies and Interests:
       I enjoy reading literature, listening to music and 'Surfing the Web'.
       I take a keen interest in new technologies and keep myself apprised of
       new problems and solutions in the computing world.

       References available upon request