Security Architect seeking position, anywhere.

From: Paul Helmich (phelmichat_private)
Date: Thu Jul 26 2001 - 13:31:09 PDT

    Greetings all,

    I am one of those who got caught up in the rounds of lay-offs in the IT
    industry, and I hope this mailing list will help me in the pursuit of my
    next job. Please take a look at my resume (below) and see if you know of any
    suitable positions.  I live in Jersey City, NJ (15 minutes from Manhattan)
    but relocation (to anywhere !) is not a problem, nor is travel. I am looking
    for a permanent position, but unfortunately require visa sponsorship. Note
    however that new H1-B visas can be processed within two weeks these days,
    see:
    http://www.ins.usdoj.gov/graphics/services/employerinfo/premprsv.htm

    Sincerely,

    Paul Helmich, CISSP

    Also see my online resume at:
    http://www.hotjobs.com/cgi-bin/person-show?P__PINDEX=P826298TB

    OBJECTIVE

    Gain employment with an organization that challenges my current skills while
    offering the opportunity to continue career advancement. Obtain a position
    in the field of security architecture design or security consulting. Use my
    security expertise to research, design and deploy complicated security
    solutions for a broad client base. Continue developing knowledge of network
    and security related products and technologies.

    PERSONAL DETAILS
    Name:  Paul Helmich, CISSP
    Contact me at: phelmichat_private  /  201-4519509
    Currently at:     Jersey City, New Jersey.

    SUMMARY

    I am a general security practitioner (CISSP certified) with 4 years of
    experience in the Infosec field. My strengths lay in consulting,
    communicating about security issues, designing and deploying Security
    Architectures. I believe that the description below of a security
    architect's role nicely covers the kind of tasks I have performed in the
    last couple of years:

    * Actively participating on project teams from requirements definition phase
    through production implementation, providing requirements on appropriate
    security implementation.
    * Working on technology projects and providing security requirements for
    implementation of new technologies such as wireless Internet access, B2B
    exchanges, etc.
    * Conducting security assessments of various areas and emerging
    technologies.
    Working with development teams and lines of businesses to guide the decision
    making about the secure implementation and use of new technology.
    * Conducting security consulting, risk & vulnerability assessments, and
    assisting with application architecture and network architecture design.
    * Assessing compliance with security policies and sound security practices.
    * Documenting and reporting security issues to senior management. Ensuring
    that security issues are addressed. Having the ability to interact with all
    levels of users/actors.

    EMPLOYMENT HISTORY

    Cap Gemini Ernst & Young (1-1-1999 to 4-24-2001)
    Sector:  Finance
    Business Unit:  Technology Consulting

    CSC Computer Sciences Corporation  (August 1997 till 1-1-1999)

    EDUCATIONAL QUALIFICATIONS

    Nottingham Trent University (in the UK)
    BA (Honours) Business Administration,1995-1996

    Hogeschool van Utrecht
    BA International Business, 1994-1997.

    PROFESSIONAL QUALIFICATIONS

    * CISSP (Certified Information Systems Security Professional). (See
    www.isc2.org)
    * Microsoft Certified Professional (MCP) - Networking Essentials
    * Microsoft Certified Professional (MCP)-  TCP/IP for NT Server 4
    * Member of the Computer Security Institute (CSI).

    METHODS TRAINING:

    * Consultancy skills
    Savonije training, December 99, 3 days

    * Architecture Design - Distributed Secure Environments (AD-DSE)
    Cap Gemini, March 1999, 3 days

    * Architecture Design - Technical Infrastructures (AD-TI)
    Cap Gemini, June 2000, 5 days

    * Consultancy skills
    Bronsgeest BV, September 1998, 4 days

    * Object-Oriented Thinking
    Cap Gemini, September 1997, 3 days

    TECHNICAL SKILLS
    I am well versed in the use, design, and deployment of the following
    security / network related technologies: TCP/IP, Firewalls, DMZ, VPN and
    especially PKI / Cryptography.
    Standard tools I use on a day-to-day basis include the MS Office suite and
    Visio.

    PUBLICATIONS

    * International Internet Marketing - A Theoretical Framework and Practical
    Analysis - Helmich, 1996 (Bachelor's Thesis,  First Honors)
    * Electronic Commerce - Business-to-business vs. Business-to-consumer.
    Computable, June 1998
    * PKI - Public Key Infrastructures, a Cap Gemini white paper. April 99.
    * Public Key Infrastructures - Overview.  Infosecurity magazine, October
    1999.
    * Public Key Infrastructures - a Panacea solution? Network Security
    magazine, May 2000
      Same - Adapted and reprinted in the Information Security Bulletin, July
    2001, Vol. 6 Issue 6.

    LANGUAGE SKILLS

    * Dutch:     Excellent          * Papiamento:  Good
    * English:   Excellent          * French:         Average
    * Spanish:  Very good        * German:        Minimal

    (Competence levels: minimal/average/good/very good/excellent)

    PROFESSIONAL EXPERIENCE

             (In reverse chronological order. Only major projects are listed).
                       While working for Cap Gemini Ernst & Young :

    Elemica marketplace
    November 2000 - April 2001

    Elemica is potentially the world's largest B2B marketplace. It was founded
    by a consortium of the world's 22 largest chemical firms. The aim is to
    provide a central point through which the members can trade through
    standardised XML messages. Scope covers orders, invoices, physical delivery
    offerings (logistics) and financial services.  My job was to be the client's
    security architect, interfacing with many vendors to ensure product
    interoperability with regards to security issues such as two-way SSL,
    digital message signing, Single Sign On, PKI, VPN, centralized user
    management and centralized access control management. Duties included
    reviewing security policies.

    ABN Amro bank: Internet banking
    June-November 2000

    This client is creating a complete new virtual bank, for roll-out throughout
    Europe. It will include all banking services, including retail banking,
    e-brokerage, savings etc. over various distribution channels like the
    Internet and mobile phones. I represented the customer towards their vendors
    on all security aspects. I also had to make sure the solution being designed
    conforms to the corporate security policy, and as such I interfaced with the
    internal auditing department.  Technical keywords: Trade.com and Fiserv
    software, security tokens, secure process design.

    ABN Amro bank: security consulting
    April -June 2000

    My main task consisted of developing guidelines for the secure development
    of Intranet / Internet applications. This meant translating the corporate
    security policy to something more tangible for developers to work with. A
    second task was to help in the creation of a policy document on WAP
    technology, where I took care of the security aspects.

    Course development: Cap Gemini (internal) R&D.
    January to April 2000

    Together with a colleague I developed one-day training courses on the topics
    of PKI and of E-security.
    These are now part of the standard portfolio of Cap Gemini's Educational
    Division. I have subsequently facilitated several of these training courses,
    in various European countries.

    PKI Task Force: Cap Gemini (internal) R&D.
    October 99 to January 00

    I operated as a team leader for our PKI team, consisting of six people. Our
    main deliverables were a number of white papers on PKI and on security
    components, and a demo which includes certificates on smart cards with
    biometric readers. I regularly give presentations on PKI technology.

    Rabo Bank: System Security Architecture for Payments
    July to December 99

    The Rabo Bank has a collection of systems (mainframes, databases, etc) which
    process all the payments of the bank with all stakeholders (consumers, other
    banks, etc.). Due to new business requirements they were in the process of
    redesigning their system architecture for the next five years. Cap Gemini
    had been brought in to help them with Security and Governance aspects of
    architecture design, using methodologies Cap Gemini has developed for this.
    My role was to design the security architecture using the AD-DSE
    methodology. One deliverable they used extensively was a flowchart with all
    external dataflows classified per security sensitivity.

    Cap Gemini (internal): Security R&D
    April to October 99

    I coordinated the research efforts into security infrastructures. This
    research area focuses on infrastructural components such as PKI, firewalls,
    proxy servers, VPN's, authentication and authorization mechanisms, and
    hardware tokens (e.g. smart cards). The deliverables consist of a
    presentation and a white paper on the roles of these components and how they
    interrelate. Another deliverable is a working demo of an integrated secure
    environment. Mr. Helmich has also published a white paper on the role of PKI
    in Electronic Commerce.

    ABN Amro Bank - Risk Analysis
    March 99

    A department of the ABN Amro Bank wanted to implement a software package,
    but had to conform their project plan to the corporate security policy. I
    carried out a risk analysis with regard to the implementation plans for the
    software package. The largest risk lay in the fact that a data-communication
    connection had to be made to a third party, outside the corporate network. I
    designed two alternative networking architectures, which allowed the
    customer to eliminate this risk without a loss of functionality.

                       While working for CSC Computer Sciences Corporation :

    PTT Post - Security Audit
    15 October till 31 December '98

    Under the leadership of a senior Security Consultant an internal security
    audit was carried out on the Internet related services that our customer
    provides. Together with him I wrote a Statement of Work and a Project Plan
    for bringing the security in this environment to a higher level.  The audit
    focused not only on Network /Computer Security, but also on Physical,
    Organizational and Procedural security. Several dozen tasks have been
    identified and subsequently addressed.  Some of these were done by me, for
    example tightening the firewall filtering rules and setting up a Change
    Management procedure for the security infrastructure.

    PTT Post - KeyMail service
    3 months

    This customer wants to become the major TTP (Trusted Third Party) for the
    Netherlands, offering digital certificates to the Dutch population.  A
    project to accomplish this has been carried out, and the resulting
    Certification Service has been launched as "KeyMail" (www.keymail.nl) in
    October 98.  I was a member of the group of three persons responsible for
    the IT infrastructure for this project. I also participated in weekly
    meetings of the overall project group and reviewed project documentation to
    keep up to date with the larger picture, gaining an understanding of all
    applicable TTP processes. On the IT side, I have been responsible for
    evaluating the products from CA vendors, and have implemented a web gateway
    between the UniCert CA system (from Baltimore Technologies) and the
    Internet. This included some website development work. LDAP Servers and
    Oracle databases are often a component of CA systems and thus I have gained
    some basic knowledge of these components. Technical Keywords: PKI (Public
    Key Infrastructure), Netscape Enterprise Server 3, SSL, certificates,
    encryption, Firewalls, network architecture, TCP/IP, X.500, UniCert package.

    PTT Post - Secure Electronic Messaging on X.400
    3.5 months

    I operated as an independent project leader for this project. This involved
    coordinating the efforts of testing a software application for bugs.
    Furthermore the application and its manuals had to be localized (this
    involves translation to Dutch, among other things). This project has been my
    first experience with project management and taught me much about the
    various administrative tasks a project manager must fulfill. The deliverable
    of the project was an X.400 based E-Mail client, capable of sending
    encrypted E-mail. X.509 v3 certificates were used. The project has given me
    good insights into the workings of CA software and processes, especially the
    underlying techniques involving public/private keys.

    PTT Post - Secure Network Architecture
    6 weeks

    During this project, in the role of junior consultant, I assisted in the
    design and implementation of a secure network environment within the Print &
    Mail department of PTT Post Netherlands. The goal of the project was to
    create an infrastructure that was robust, safe, and scalable, so that in the
    future other PTT networks can also make use of it. This network forms the
    only connection between the PTT Post backbone and the outside world (i.e.
    Internet). After the design was completed I oversaw the RFP, judged the
    proposals received from vendors, and ordered the necessary equipment.