Dartmouth's Institute for Security Technology Studies (ISTS)

From: David Kotz (dfkat_private)
Date: Thu Sep 20 2001 - 02:04:23 PDT

    RESEARCH JOB OPPORTUNITY at DARTMOUTH COLLEGE

    Intrusion detection and analysis

    Department of Computer Science  (CS) <http://www.cs.dartmouth.edu/>
        and
    Institute for Security Technology Studies (ISTS) <http://ists.dartmouth.edu>

    In a joint project between CS and ISTS, we are investigating new
    methods and tools for system administrators and law-enforcement
    personnel to detect and track computer-system intruders. Our research
    uses techniques from distributed computing, mobile agents,
    information retrieval, and machine learning.

    The project is coordinated by Professors Jay Aslam, David Kotz, and
    Daniela Rus from the Department of Computer Science, in cooperation
    with (and funded by) the Institute for Security Technology Studies at
    Dartmouth.

    If you're interested in working in an exciting, state-of-the-art
    research project, testing your limits and learning new skills, then
    you should read further to learn more about this opportunity!

    We have one full-time positions available for a postdoctoral Research
    Associate.  Duties and salary would be matched to your particular
    skills, interests, and experience.   Our ideal candidates will be an
    experienced researcher with a recent Ph.D in Computer Science or
    Computer Engineering that can take on a portion of the research
    project, develop new ideas, implement part of the software, and
    supervise some of the graduate and undergraduate students. We're
    looking for people with practical skills in operating systems,
    security, or distributed computing, and/or theoretical skills
    information retrieval and machine learning.

    We offer competitive salaries and some help toward moving expenses.

    GRADUATE STUDENTS too

    We are always interested in attracting skilled and motivated graduate
    students. The Computer Science department has programs leading to the
    M.S. and Ph.D degrees; the Computer Engineering program can lead to
    an M.E. or Ph.D degree. Contact us, or check out the web site, for
    more information.

    LOCATION

    Dartmouth College is located in the beautiful small college town of
    Hanover, New Hampshire. Hanover lies along the eastern bank of the
    Connecticut River, between the Green Mountains of Vermont and the
    White Mountains of New Hampshire. It is a small town (about 9,200
    residents) whose major employers are Dartmouth College and the
    Dartmouth-Hitchcock Medical Center. The downtown area, consisting of
    about four square blocks of shops, is right next to the College.
    Hanover has tried hard to preserve the traditional New England small
    town qualities, leading to a fantastic quality of life. Local schools
    are excellent. The outdoors are close by and full of recreational
    opportunities. You won't be living in suburbia and commuting through
    rush-hour traffic here!

    As soon as possible.

    TO APPLY

    Applications will be evaluated as they arrive.

    Please send your vita and the names and email addresses of three references to
    	Alison Sartonov
    	Department of Computer Science
    	Dartmouth College
    	Hanover NH 03755-3510
    Email:	Alison.Sartonovat_private
    	(Postscript and PDF accepted, only as MIME attachments)
    Fax:	603-646-1672

    Dartmouth College is an Equal Opportunity Affirmative Action employer.