Any profitable SECURITY-ONLY companies?

From: Anton Chuvakin (antonat_private)
Date: Thu Sep 20 2001 - 15:18:45 PDT

    Hello all,

    In the course of my current job search, I seem to have developed a strange
    conclusion about the infosec companies: they are either start-ups running
    on the last drops of venture capital (well, last drops might be $40 mil
    received in Fall 2000, but for the sake of argument - it is still venture
    money) or small 1-10 person shops that are profitable because they stay
    small. Both offer little in terms of potential employment: I rule out
    first group due to my recent experience and second are not hiring at all.

    Well, there are also behemoths like NAI or Symantec, which are heavily
    involved in security, but it is quite impossible to get in (no matter how
    many times one reads "What color is your parachute" book ;-).

    Maybe I am mistaken in restricting my job search to security companies
    only, but I do that due to the fact that most fun jobs seem to be there.
    Compare designing a new IDS to ensuring HIPAA compliance of a hospital and
    you will understand what I am talking about.

    Am I wrong (hopefully) or what? I just came back from a local ISSA chapter
    meeting and we were presented with a hyper-optimistic speech on how the
    need for security will drastically grow in the next 12-24 months, but I am
    unwilling to wait that long (need to eat something before that ;-)).

    Best regards,
    --
             Anton A. Chuvakin
    === You either succeed or learn! ===