Re: Any profitable SECURITY-ONLY companies?

From: Moyer, Shawn (smoyerat_private)
Date: Mon Sep 24 2001 - 14:12:34 PDT

    I'd agree with Marc's assessment for the most part. One other issue I
    personally am seeing is that a number of the various Infosec companies
    out there are selling their products as an all-encompassing solution:
    there are IDS's that also do (generally broken) honeypot-type things,
    firewalls that do (pseudo-) IDS, VPN boxes that do (sorta kinda)
    firewalling...

    Sales people do such a great job of convincing PHB's / CIO's that their
    products are the best thing since Squeeze Cheese that entire budgets get
    spent on one part of the picture. Since (despite the hype) no one
    product out there can really provide all of the needed facets of a
    secure environment, a lot of (at best) partial solutions are being
    implemented, and those much-hyped "skyrocketing security budgets" are
    being sadly mis-spent, with staffing often an afterthought.

    An anecdotal case in point: one large U.S. company recently spent around
    $2 million (US) on IDS. The fact that they're monitoring several hundred
    sensors with a staff of two, that most of the infrastructure being
    monitored isn't secured in the first place, that minimal firewalling /
    segmentation is in place, is irrelevant in their view. The IDS company
    had the best sales guys, and they had a security budget to spend. Why
    not spend it all in one place? Staff, updated firewalls, network
    redesigns, and app security will have to wait till next year, assuming
    the same dollars will be available then.

    I guess my point is that even if the dollars are being spent, awareness
    is still at a low enough level that they're often not being spent
    wisely, and that folks in our field shouldn't expect things to turn
    around overnight. GLB and HIPAA are raising awareness, but it will take
    a few more years for companies to fully integrate security into their IT
    philosophy, and vendors selling a number of "bolt-on" solutions that
    don't require a fundamental change in approach, but provide next to
    nothing in "real" security measures (which require time and resources,
    more than anything else) are making it easy to overlook the staffing
    issue.

    --shawn

    --
    Shawn Moyer