RE: Student Help??

From: Adam Pressman (adamat_private)
Date: Wed Sep 26 2001 - 13:32:32 PDT

    Hi Cory
    One of the nice things about being laid off and looking for work is having
    time to write to students about getting into the field. If you still want to
    do it. :-)

    I'm partial to the Washington, D.C. area as I was born and live here. But I
    think other responders would have to agree that information systems security
    best practices and disciplines originated with the Department of Defense and
    civilian organs of the Federal government. There are lots of opportunities
    here. Even in a recession I'm able to land enough independent consulting to
    keep the family fed. I just got dumped from a $112k job. Confident I'll find
    another in the price range is a far cry from when I ran a record store 13
    years ago and didn't even make what I spend in entertainment now. The DC
    area is pretty much recession proof as it's principle industry is pushing
    paper around. Only about a third of the workforce is actually employed by
    the Federal government so there is lots of opportunity in non-profit
    associations or commercial enterprises.

    Now the job of network security architect to me means the manager of a
    series of steps that form a circular understanding of activity. Most
    importantly, the architect defines security and the policies that will be
    enacted. This starts as an analysis of the values at risk versus the expense
    of protection. Nobody buys a $5000 safe to put $500 in. Once a set of
    policies has been selected (I have some links to some at
    http://www.pressman.org/familyhome/certifyU.htm#BestSecurityLinks )by you
    and what I'll call the business owners (the reason there is a network to
    protect is to serve their needs) you then do an assessment. You need to see
    if the network hardware, software, and administrative talent pose any
    vulnerabilities or non-compliance with the policies. This is your first
    chance to harden or protect the network. You've probably heard about getting
    patches and updates to your networking software to remove vulnerabilities.
    Once your network is safe from the built in vulnerabilities and your users
    instructed in the policies for using the network, your next challenge is
    protecting the network from outside attack or inside abuse. While hackers
    make the papers the real cost to an enterprise is insider abuse. You have to
    leverage your skills, good software scanners, intrusion detection systems,
    firewalls and router access control lists to protect the network.

    At this point you've attained the healthy secure network. Now all you need
    to know about is changes. If you use packages that will learn the patterns
    of usage of your network, they can alert you to users deviating from normal
    behavior, storing or modifying files they shouldn't etc. Here is where you
    also use the myriad log analysis tools that sift through gigabytes of normal
    logs looking for anomalies. This is the management stage and it lasts the
    longest. It could be years before you need to change things.

    Change you will however as the network reflects the changing requirements of
    the business owners. At this point you begin again with new or modified
    policies. Again you must assess then protect and finally manage the network
    from a security standpoint. This is what I mean by a circle of activity. The
    specific tasks are often completed by analysts or the regular networking
    staff (e.g. same 24x7 folk who do backups and keep the servers running)
    Sometimes though you'll do all of these tasks.

    A real good understanding of how to run a project on time and under budget
    has to be added to a personality that can persuade and educate people to do
    the right thing in the right ways and why. Lastly a strong attention to
    detail and a tremendous amount of patience will allow you to find problems,
    solve them and ensure they don't happen again.

    Hope this helps. If this hasn't dissuaded you from a career in information
    assurance then welcome to my world. Good luck and enjoy the ride.

    Best wishes.